Author Topic: Ruthin/ Denbigh area  (Read 4064 times)

Offline alicebob

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ruthin/ Denbigh area
« on: Wednesday 19 July 06 03:42 BST (UK) »
  My GG grandfather, Robert Jones, was born in Llangynhafal in 1793 and his wife, Catherine Roberts, was born in Llanrhaiadr in Cinmerch in 1797.
  I have the Parish BMD Registers for St. Cynhafal Parish, so I have been able to find that Robert's parents were Thomas and Jane Jones. ( But it appears that most Thomas Jones ended up marrying Jane) :'( :'( :'(
  Could some kind soul tell me where to search for events that took place before 1837 ?     :'( :'(

Thanks for helping if you can and thanks for checking if you can't.  Bob
Jones- Llangynhafal, Llandyrnog
Davies- Denbigh
Parry- Llanrhaiadr
Roberts- Llanrhaiadr

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ruthin/ Denbigh area
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 01:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

The Clwyd Family History Society have a wide range of parish record transcripts in booklet form - I'm assuming that you have some of these - for most of the parishes in the old Clwyd admin area (Denbighshire, Flintshire, parts of Merionethshire). They are for sale at a very modest price.  The full list can be viewed on their website:

http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/

and select 'Register Transcriptions' on the right of the screen.

These only cover the Established Church records though. Most of them go up to 1812 only but there is a drive to 'bridge the gap' between 1812 and 1837. Some parishes are covered to well beyond 1837.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline alicebob

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 August 06 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Thanks for responding to my question.
 Yes, I do have the BM&D Registers for Llangynhafal Parish. So I was able to find Robert's baptism and that his parents were Thomas and Jane Jones.
 Now I find too many Thomas's married too many Jane's and they are all hiding in the now famous haystack, with their children. :'(

Do you know if events in Wales before 1837, were registered in nearby English counties, like Cheshire,Shropshire and Lancashire??

Bob
Jones- Llangynhafal, Llandyrnog
Davies- Denbigh
Parry- Llanrhaiadr
Roberts- Llanrhaiadr

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 August 06 06:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

If you mean baptism, marriage and burial events, then no - unless they took place there. The only records would be the church records or the Bishops Transcripts. The BT's would be more or less the same but submitted (? quarterly) to the bishop.

There was no seperate 'state' registration - the church records where the record. Other records might exist for other religious groups.

I sympathize with the sortings out - I have a plethora of Robert and Margaret Joneses which I'm still working on. The only thing to do is to follow them all through and decide.

Not nice but  ???

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***