Author Topic: Caroline Addey  (Read 997 times)

Offline exiledtyke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Caroline Addey
« on: Wednesday 19 July 06 12:14 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered that my great great grandmother - Caroline Addey - was born circa 1811 in Plymouth Devon.  She married twice and spent all her married life in Hull Yorkshire.  I have had no look with the IGI for Plymouth.  And have a brixk wall.

Does anyone have any Addeys in their family tree from Devon.  Or can anyone help me further?

Thanks

Offline DS

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Addey
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 August 06 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hello.

Here (briefly) is a possibility for you to consider.

On the 1851 census there is only one "Caroline" born in Plymouth who was married and living in Hull.  She was Caroline Jackson aged 42 married to John Jackson (aged 45 from Ashby, Leicestershire).  One of their children is called John Ward Jackson aged 15.

On the 1841 census there are two children living with them with the surname Ward. John aged 5 and Elizabeth aged 10. They also have a daughter called Sarah Jackson who is 1.

It looks, therefore, as if this Caroline originally married someone called Ward and had two children in 1831 and 1836 during that marriage.  It then looks as if she married John Jackson and had more children. In 1861 and 1871 she is shown as a widow.

Given that she is the only census entry that meets all of the criteria specified (Plymouth, Hull, c1809 and married twice) it seems to be a strong possibility that this might be the lady that you are looking for.

DS
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline exiledtyke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Caroline Addey
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 August 06 17:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for this, but I am afraid I already have all  her history once she got to Hull, it's the Devon end that is coming up a blank.  I wondered if it was a local Plymouth/Devon name or whether her birthplace might be indicative of naval connections.  I am told a lot of churches got bombed in Plymouth during WW2 and wonder whether this is why she is not recorded by the LDS