Author Topic: The PULESTON Family of Pickhill  (Read 13732 times)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
Re: The Puleston family of Pickhill
« Reply #27 on: Monday 11 September 06 19:15 BST (UK) »
While I'm on a big search for this lot,  Jayson and/or William - do you know which are the most likely other parishes to look at -

I have -

Bangor on Dee
Hanmer
Worthenbury
Ruabon

I've ordered Overton

What about Marchweil, Holt, etc.

Any others?

Thanks

Gadget

You could try Willington Halghton, even Isycoed (both), Sesswick. Abenbury and Erbistock. Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Puleston family of Pickhill
« Reply #28 on: Monday 11 September 06 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayson

Nice to hear from you  :)  I fit in to Haydn's tree at the 15th generation - we have a common 7 x great grandfather - Richard Puleston who died 1678 was Katherine's father.

I'll have a look for some more over the next few days for you - including Bayleys.

Gadget - who passed through Overton and Bangor on Dee last year and didn't take any photos  :( :(

I have some digital ones of Bangor I can send you if you like. Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: The PULESTON Family of Pickhill
« Reply #29 on: Monday 11 September 06 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

I'd love some photos as I'm not sure when I'll be next in the area. There are masses on the Haydn Puleston Jones site but some contemporary ones would be lovely. Thank you ever so.

I'll PM you my e-mail  :)

I'm a bit confused about your reference to Halghton since that is where my Lees where (Katherine's daughter married a Lee) but I always thought that Halghton was in Hanmer parish  ??? ??? ???

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 11 September 06 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget,

This parishes business in the Maelor is confusing because they change so often. All I know is that there used a Halghton parish until they were all changed to "communities", but it was probably carved out of some others. Sorry I don't know when. Likewise Willington, Bettisfield, Bronington.

I'll send you some photos when I get your email addy. Any limits on sizes of attachments you can receive? Chris

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 11 September 06 19:49 BST (UK) »
The Maelor area is a law unto itself, Chris. I spent the first 18 years of my life within a stone's throw and never could get it sorted out - what was Denbighshire, what was Flintshire, what was Cheshire, what was Shropshire  ??? ??? ???

Then it went into Clwyd. Then it went back  ::) ::) ::)

Weird.................

Gadget

I've sent you a PM - thanks ever so  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 11 September 06 20:42 BST (UK) »
The most ridiculous example is the new Denbighshire. Although other Welsh counties were recreated almost as pre-1974 and others (Flintshire, Monmouthshire) were the old counties with portions lopped off, in the new Denbighshire:

Over half the population would have been in the old Flintshire pre-1974.
Half the area was once in Flintshire or Merioneth.
At least three-quarters of the area of the old Denbighshire is now in other authorities.
Getting on for nine-tenths of its population in 1974 would now be in other authorities - to wit, Conwy and Wrexham, but the southernmost tip is now in Powys, along with Ystradgynlais!
Some of the boundaries of the new Denbighshire still exist, but have been flipped - ie  the new Denbighshire is on the opposite side to where the old one used to be.
So, in the south, there is a part of the new Denbighshire which used to be in Merioneth. Across its borders, to both east and west, are areas which used to be in Denbighshire but aren't.
The only part of Denbighshire that is common to both versions of the county is the central area around Denbigh, Ruthin and Llangollen - and Llangollen was plebiscited to see if they wanted to join Wrexham instead (they didn't).

I feel sorry for genealogists from abroad who haven't heard of this and wonder why they can't find their "Denbighshire" ancestors in the Denbighshire records (still in the old Ruthin jail?)

Chris

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 11 September 06 22:07 BST (UK) »
I for one still use the old Counties when adding names to my Tree.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hi William,

Yes, so do I. Unfortunately, I build mine at genesreutd wher they have an automated system that "suggests" a county when you type in a town, and that county is always the new one. It grates when they suggest that a relative born in 1790 might have been born in "Merseyside" or something. Probably some bought-in automated software.

(I have a wordprocessed tree for printing out, but it's getting huge, and genesreutd is easier to work in. I've since seen someone else's on tribalpages  - I  think that looks a lot better.)

The Pulestons are a posh lot, as Gadget noted, but if you have Hanmers in your tree that's not bad either! Chris

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 12 September 06 08:54 BST (UK) »
As far as the Software at GR is concerned Chris,when you are typing in the place of birth,don't use the "prompts" just keep typing.Again as far as my Hanmer family is concerned,I am unable as yet to connect to the "main" family.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk