Author Topic: The PULESTON Family of Pickhill  (Read 13730 times)

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Puleston family of Pickhill
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Glad that you found the website of interest.  Knew you would!  :)  Wow was my reaction when I first saw it.

Eleanor Puleston nee Bayley was the younger sister of my direct ancestor James Bayley of Wybunbury, Cheshire.  So I'm not really a Puleston descendant.  Though, I wish I was as they look like a really interesting family. 

I just like to research all the females in my family to see what happened to them.  I sometimes think that it's such a shame that some family historians neglect the individual histories of the sisters of their direct male ancestors.

Jayson  ;)
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 11:29 BST (UK) »
Golly Jayson, Wybunbury as well - did you not look in the Church yard there for me for my Mates line? - memory coming back  ;)

They are certainly  a very interesting family and what wonderful houses. That area of Flintshire/Denbighshire does have some superb architecture.

I also have a leaning to the females in my family - thought it was a 'girlie' thing. Some of the men are so dour. Women often have far more interesting histories  :)

Thank you again so much and I'll look for your couple.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 12:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayson

I have all the available Worthenbury parish records to 1745 but can't find a marriage. What I have found is a baptism in Bangor on Dee:

12 March 1729 James  s/o John (gent) and Elinor  of Pickhill

Any use?

Gadget

PS my Katherine/Catherine Puleston and Edward Griffith(s) were 'of Pickhill' on the baptism records of their children.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 07 September 06 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi there Gadget

A thousand thanks for this  ;D  yes this is certainly the same couple.  I didn't have the baptism for John & Eleanor Puleston's son - James.  It seems that he was named after his mother's father - James Bayley.

I don't think I'll ever find the marriage of the above couple.  Their first child - a daughter Ann - was baptised at Wistaston in Cheshire where Eleanor was born & brought up.  Usually a marriage occurs in the brides parish, but in this case John & Eleanor decided otherwise.

Yeah, it was me that looked up the burial in Wybunbury.  Actually, I must get round to transcribing the remaining part of the churchyard there.  It's hard work it's just me doing it!!!

Those Puleston houses are lovely.  Unfortunately Emral Hall was demolished but I think Pickhill Hall still survives.

I'm really intrigued/nosy by your Katherine Puleston.  Really want to know where she fits in.  Have you emailed Haydn Puleston Jones yet? I think he might be able to help you.

I have a couple of Puleston family trees which I can send you if you're interested . . .

Jayson  ;)
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 07 September 06 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayson

Last night, I found another Bayley in the area but before your dates  :( If you're interested I'll go look for it again - may link in.

I did e-mail Haydn yesterday but haven't heard yet. I've checked up on quite a bit of info - Nat Library, Bettisfield papers. This family is very interesting - are they really me, I ask  ::) ::) ::) First warden of Caernarfon Castle - collecting taxes for the French wars, Owain Glyndwr - oh it will keep me occupied all winter  ;D

I put up a request on the Flintshire Board about my Katherine (6x great). William has found some info.

I'd love the trees will PM you with e-mail after I've eaten.

I smell burning  ::)

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 September 06 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayson

Another one for you.

This name really interested me when I looked at it a couple of years ago-

Bangor on Dee (baptism) Nov 6th 1734 - Maria Sobieski PULESTON d/o Mr John and Ellinor, Pickhill

Gadget  :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 September 06 21:12 BST (UK) »
Oh dear, poor James died in 1729 -

Burial,  also B on Dee

12 March 1729 James son of John (gent) and Elinor, Pickhill

Also

12 Jan 1722  Mary d/o Mr John, Pickhill

They were using the old calendar (April-April), so these are plus a year if you want to convert.

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 07 September 06 23:38 BST (UK) »
While I'm on a big search for this lot,  Jayson and/or William - do you know which are the most likely other parishes to look at -

I have -

Bangor on Dee
Hanmer
Worthenbury
Ruabon

I've ordered Overton

What about Marchweil, Holt, etc.

Any others?

Thanks

Gadget

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 07 September 06 23:57 BST (UK) »
You could also look at places like Loppington in Shropshire and Malpas.

Regads
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk