Author Topic: Ancestral brushes with the rich or famous  (Read 31245 times)

Offline dawnwas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestral brushes with the rich or famous
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 06 August 06 04:00 BST (UK) »
My Grandma nee Mason was connected somehow to John Wesley.I have yet to trace the full connection.
arthrell( cannockchase UK to Novascotia )faircloth uk,simmonds birmingham uk,Mason and Rodgers westmidlands uk.

Offline Jayson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 12:21 BST (UK) »
It's really very enjoyable to read about the ancestral connections that people have with famous historical characters.

My direct ancestor (James Bayley 1718-1779) was the first cousin to Admiral, Sir John Jervis, who was later ennobled as the Earl of St Vincent after his victory - with the brilliant assistance of Horatio Nelson - against the Spanish off Cape St Vincent in 1797.  Nelson was a protege of Jervis and the two were to become great friends, but sadly fell out over prize money.

I also have an ancestor who was mentioned just once by Samuel Pepys in his famous diary.  He was John Swynfen who Pepys referred to as that Parliament Man.  He was one of many members of Parliament booted out by Cromwell during Pride's Purge.

I wonder if there are any rootschatters related to Cromwell?

Jayson
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline GordonD

• RootsChat Senior
  • G grandparents Francis Laughlan and Agnes Tripney
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 13:47 BST (UK) »
Nothing remotely rich or famous on any line that I have looked at yet.

Only real brushes are that  my gran went to New Stevenston Primary School, Motherwell with Sir Alexander Gibson and had to help him with his maths. He was a conductor and now has an opera school named after him at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama. Don't know of any other brushes other than my mum was a couple of years above Elaine C Smith (Scottish comedian) at primary school.

Gordon
Lanarkshire-Gray, Laughlan, Black, Hamilton, Kerr, Lindsay, Faulds, Brownlie, Wright, Richardson, Pitcairn, Campbell, Craig, Pettigrew, Mirrlees, McLardy<br />Stirlingshire- Tripney, Cowan, Gibb, Tulloch, Thomson<br />Dumfriesshire- Hope, Johnstone, Jardine, Donaldson, Wright, Irving, Sommers<br />Cumberland- Douglas, Harrison<br />Northumberland- Turnbull, Paxon<br />Ayrshire- Howie, Muir<br />Renfrewshire, West Lothian, Ireland<br />http://gtd005.rootschat.net

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi, apart from my link with King William I also know of another brush with fame in my family, my dad saw the Beatles at the beginning live at the Cavern, how good is that!.

Anna
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 19:50 BST (UK) »
I once had a wry smile from Harry Secombe when I told him my dad was a fan of his before I was ;D
Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 19:54 BST (UK) »
Great-aunt Emily was a nurse in the household of the Carey Elweses in Lincolnshire, where the composer Percy Grainger wrote much of his music. My only bid for fame in my family tree...

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hettie2000

• RootsChat Member
  • Gt-grandfather JC Oldham
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 21:19 BST (UK) »
One of my husband's lines is Dewhurst. I keep looking for the sausage factory but no luck as yet...

;D
Hyde, Oldham, Anderton, Barber, Lord, Bowler, Roebuck, Hadfield, Cowell - all Cheshire/Lancashire

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 17 August 06 09:07 BST (UK) »
charlie chaplin lived next door to my great grandparents in lambeth when he was a little boy, when his mother was incapacitated, charlie and his brother would get a meal from them, cos they felt so sorry for the boys.
davis,pantell,pearce.hereford<br />barker,hunter,marshall,,berkshire.<br />notting,small,vincent,house,michel,vyvans,tubbs,spearing,burriss,candy,chaldecott,dorset.<br />meyer,grant,heale,pengilly,winget,hawkins,devon.<br />lawes,dyke,drewett,coster,wilts/hants.<br />worwood,whellock,griffith,lee,,card,randall,london/lambeth/rotherhithe ,east wickham.young,tooley,nevil,chipping norton.legg, cheshunt.<br />scott,smither,spencer,taylor, farnham;surrey. halfacre ,hants.

Offline Janny3

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Saturday 23 April 11 14:27 BST (UK) »
Nothing remotely rich or famous on any line that I have looked at yet.

Only real brushes are that  my gran went to New Stevenston Primary School, Motherwell with Sir Alexander Gibson and had to help him with his maths. He was a conductor and now has an opera school named after him at the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama. Don't know of any other brushes other than my mum was a couple of years above Elaine C Smith (Scottish comedian) at primary school.

Gordon
Gordon, can you ask your Gran if she remembers the Murray family from Nimmo's Rows, in particular John, my father? He was at school along with Alexander Gibson and I would love to find someone who knew him. Thanks
Jan