Author Topic: 1891 & 1901 - Miranda Saxty & Father  (Read 21589 times)

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
1891 & 1901 - Miranda Saxty & Father
« on: Friday 21 July 06 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi 

Miranda Saxty was born about 1853 in Gloucester and the 1881 census records her living at Colford Cottage, Lyonshall, Hereford.   RG11/2611 Folio 68 Page 3 refers.

Miranda is unmarried but living or visiting is her father Charles Henry Saxty born about 1828 in Batheaston Somerset.   Free BMD records the death of a Charles Henry Saxty age 70, recorded Jun Q 1898 Kington Volume 6a Page 311.   (CH Saxty would have been 70 in 1898)

It would appear Charles remained in the county with his daughter, possibly for the 1891 census.   Can anyone please find Miranda in 1891 and also 1901 if possible, plus her father, Charles Henry Saxty in 1891

Gerry

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 & 1901 - Miranda Saxty & Father
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 July 06 16:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry
There is this family
Charles Hey Sexty head M 63 railway station inspector Somerset Batheaston?
Maranda Wheeler Sexty dau u/m 35 house keeper Gloucestershire Gloucester
living at Oaklands?, Lyonshall, Stansbatch, Kington,Herefordshire
Rg12/ 2077
folio 117
page 2

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 July 06 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry
No sign of them in 1901. I think the death for Charles like you have found sounds correct.

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 July 06 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Ricky

The spelling is a bit  ::) but I believe this is the pair I want.  In earlier census returns Charles has been involved with the GWR so his latest job as a station inspector adds weight to what you have found.

I wonder if you can find Miranda in 1901.  She was still a spinster in 1891 and it would appear her father died in 1898.

Much appreciate your help

Gerry

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 July 06 18:19 BST (UK) »

In 1881 Charles is shown as a staion master.
This would be at Lyonshall on the Leominster to Kington Railway. which opened in 1857 and finally closed in 1964

Thre is a book on the railway by Sinclair and Fenn called The Facility of Locomotion which has details of the line and its building and is a very good read.

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 July 06 18:24 BST (UK) »
You would be able to get a copy of Charles's death certificate from Kington Register Office
The Old Courthouse
Market Hall Street
Kington
Herefordshire HR5 3DP
this would show where he died, what of and who registered it and their addess. This could give a clue as to whether Miranda was still about with him in 1898.

She is not in Herefordshire in 1901 under Saxty or Sexty.

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 July 06 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi EBN

Many thanks for trying to find Miranda in 1901 and for sending me the other helpful information.     I've had lots of spelling variations for the surname Saxty, Miranda may well be hiding somewhere but her disappearance is not an issue.

Gerry 

Offline Carrow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 April 07 22:38 BST (UK) »
I have come across this entry with great interest and think I know who Miranda is ...
She is Miranda Knight (the sister of my great great grandmother, Ellen) b3 Sep 1847 in Gloucester and registered as Miranda Wheeler as her parents did not marry until 1850.  She is shown on the 1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses living with her parents, and in the 1901 census (unmarried) with her sister Ellen and brother-in-law Robert Hayes.  I believe she is shown as Miranda Wheeler Saxty in the 1891 census living as the 'daughter' of Charles Henry Saxty.  Charles' wife and family continued to live in Oxford Street, Gloucester in 1881 and 1891, just a few doors away from the Knights in 1871.
I have a copy of Charles Saxty's death certificate - Charles Henry Saxty died of apoplexy on 4 June 1898 at Oaklands, Lyonshall, aged 70, and the informant was "Miranda Saxty, daughter, present at the death".  After this presumably Miranda moved back to Gloucester and lived with her sister and brother-in-law.

What do you think?
Batten, Bevan, Burge, Clement(s), Davis, Dimon, Oldfield, Paul, Rowe, Sirl, Woodland (all mainly Bristol/Somerset/Dorset).  Hayes, Knight, Sanigar, Wheeler (mainly Glos).  Wharington (Staffs/Bristol).

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 April 07 13:43 BST (UK) »
First of all can I welcome you to the website and say thank you for following up my posting of July last year.

I have been researching the Saxty family history for my son in law and Charles Henry Saxty (CHS) born about 1827 was his 3 x Great Grandfather on his maternal side.   I have history back to John Saxty born about 1771 in Batheaston.

The 1881 census finds CHS in Lyonshall, Herts with daughter Miranda age 28 (c. 1853) born Gloucester, the 1891  census shows CHS still in Lyonshall with Miranda Wheeler Saxty, unmarried, age 35 (c. 1856) in Gloucester.   She is shown as a housekeeper, not as a daughter of...  I was aware CHS died in 1898 and I could not find Miranda in 1901 - I now know why.  I also wondered why Miranda could not be found before 1881 - clearly she was not recorded with the surname of Saxty until 1881.

Miranda's birth year is inconsistent in the two census returns and different again to your own date of 1847, however there appears to be litle doubt we are talking about the same person.   What remains unclear is the relationship between CHS and Miranda?   Miranda Knight, registered as Miranda Wheeler (I now know where the surname Wheeler came from in the 91' census) and also Miranda Saxty the daughter of Charles Henry Saxty? 

You say the Knight family lived in the same road as the Saxty family and I wonder if CHS had an affair which resulted in Miranda?   Can you add any more to unravel this fascinating story?   

Finally, could I ask a favour, that is a copy of the death certificate for CHS.    I can send a PM with my e-mail, or my home address, but will wait until I hear from you.

Many thanks for contacting me with this information

Gerry