Author Topic: 1891 & 1901 - Miranda Saxty & Father  (Read 21587 times)

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 & 1901 - Miranda Saxty & Father
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 July 07 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Richard

First of all I see this is your first posting so can I welcome you to RootsChat and say how much I enjoyed reading your memories of Richard Saxty and Amelia Puxton.

What you have said will be of great interest to Rebecca because it is her side of the Saxty family you are talking about.   Reading this thread you will see that Rebecca and I have tried to join our respective Saxty families together but without success :(

Saxty is an uncommon name, however  it does have a past history unlike some surnames which are  rare and  no origin can be found.  I am researching the surname Liffully, so far tracing it to Gloucester in the mid 1700s but with no origin!

I do hope Rebecca picks up this thread, I'm sure she will be delighted to read what you have to say.

Gerry

Offline becky.g

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 July 07 19:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard and Gerry,

You are right Gerry -  I am excited to read this post and find another Saxty that is connected.

Richard and Amelia are my ggg grandparents through William Frank Saxty another of their sons.

Many thanks for this information Richard - I shall PM you with more information that I have.

Best wishes,

Rebecca

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vickory

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 April 12 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone, coming in on this very late but am hoping someone is still researching SAXTY's...
Becky.g
I am searching for information on William Frank SAXTY who married Anna MILNE nee ROBINSON in 1906 at Newcastle on Tyne.
Any help would be appreciated
Regards, Vicki, Australia

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 07 April 12 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Vicki

First of all welcome to RootsChat and the Saxty family research.  If you look at Rebecca's posting of 26 July 2007 she also mentions William Frank Saxty so the two of you appear  to have connections.   Your posting of 5 April would be sent to everyone named in this thread but 4 years have elapsed, time has moved on, maybe Rebecca  is off the radar, feel sure she would have replied if still researching on this site.  Let's hope the following notes are helpful.

1891 Census, Living Blanchland, Durham
Thomas Robinson, 43, Retired lead miner, born Hunstanworth Durham
Mary Robinson, 45, born Blanchland, Durham
John Robinson, 18, Blacksmith apprentice, born Blanchland, Durham
Anna Robinson, 15, scholar                                                 "
William Robinson, 11, scholar                                              "
Rebecca Robinson, 6, scholar                                              "
Thomas Colpits, 81, father in law, retired farmer, born Walsingham, Durham

Anna Robinson m George Milne, 1896, Newcastle on Tyne

1901 Census, living 59 Thorpe Street, Elswick, Durham
George Milne, 27, born Scotland, Tailor
Anna Milne, 24, born Newcastle
Terrance Milne, 3, born Newcastle
William Milne, 1month, born Newcastle

Free BMD records the death of a George Milne in 1905.  His age matches but a death certificate is needed to prove this is the correct GM.

Anna Milne (nee Robinson) married William Frank Saxty in 1906 in Newcastle on Tyne

1901 Census, , living 5 Steel Street, Consett, Durham
Henry J Saxty, 48, Plumber & Gas Fitter, born Scotland
Sarah Saxty, 47, born Gateshead, Durham
George R Saxty, 21, Pattern maker, born Blackhill, Durham
John R Saxty, 19, Boiler Smith,                      "
William F Saxty, 16, Builder, born Consett, Durham
Constance Saxty, 6                                       "   
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]

1911 Census, living 17 Albion Street, Cheshire
William F Saxty, 26, Coachmaker (Hackney) born Durham
Anna Saxty, 33, born Blanchland, Durham
Florence Milne, s/dau, born Newcastle
William Milne, 10 s/on,         "
Gladys Milne 7, s'dau           "
Annie Milne, 6, s/dau           "
Constance Saxty, 3, born Manchester
Amelia Saxty, 2, born Manchester
Sarah Anna Saxty, 1, born Sale Cheshire

Let me know if I  can be of further help

Offline vickory

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 07 April 12 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry,
Thank you for the welcome.
Yes it was Rebecca's posting naming William Frank SAXTY that was found in searching & drew me to this thread.
As you say 4 years has past so I'm delighted to receive a response at all.
I had found WFS & Anna MILNE nee ROBINSON on the 1911 Census, thanks mainly to the MILNE children being identified as step children.
Annie MILNE, age 6, step/daughter of WFS & daughter of Anna SAXTY, formerly MILNE nee ROBINSON is actually the focus of my current research.
I've not yet purchased the Death Certificate for George MILNE d.1905 but direct descendants assure me this is the correct entry.
Thank you for the Census information, I'd not found the 1901 for WFS yet, so that is very helpful.
The 1901 for George & Anna MILNE I do have (the Terrance is actually Florence), & the 1891 for Thomas Robinson has helped me to work back to 1841 Census quite easily, though Birth records are proving more challenging.
Your response is much appreciated & any help always most welcome,
Regards, Vicki

Offline becky.g

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 06 June 12 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Vicki,

Sorry it has taken a couple of months to spot this posting and to respond - I have not been watching emails on this account very closely lately, but am still researching the Saxty line.

There are several William Frank Saxty's in my tree and I believe the one you are referring to is WF Saxty born Durham 1884.  He was one of at least 8 children born to Henry James Saxty & Sarah Dawson.  Henry was son of Richard and Millie (Amelia) mentioned in the posts below. 

To be honest I have not researched down this line - I am on the line of William Frank  (son of Richard and Millie), but am happy to share info on the line going back.  It may be worth noting my WF had a son WF born 1883 Edinburgh - take care you do not get confused - like may families too many children with the same names at the same time!

How are you related to the Saxty line?
I shall update my email on this account to one I use a little more often these days so please do contact me if I can help.

Kind regards
Rebecca

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The Saxty's in Eccleshill and the North East
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 07 March 13 04:43 GMT (UK) »
    I wonder if there is a connection here with my cousin Marion's mother who was Connie Hutton Nee Saxty - born in Consett Co.Durham so not too far from Newcastle, but who lived nearly all of her married life at 309 Fagley Road, Eccleshill?    Aunt Connie is now deceased but did tell me once that she had great trouble finding the Saxty's and thought they came from Lothian Road in Edinburgh.  There was a Walter, a Henry and a Frank.
   Malcolm Hutton Melbourne
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 07 March 13 05:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry,
Thank you for the welcome.
Yes it was Rebecca's posting naming William Frank SAXTY that was found in searching & drew me to this thread.
As you say 4 years has past so I'm delighted to receive a response at all.
I had found WFS & Anna MILNE nee ROBINSON on the 1911 Census, thanks mainly to the MILNE children being identified as step children.
Annie MILNE, age 6, step/daughter of WFS & daughter of Anna SAXTY, formerly MILNE nee ROBINSON is actually the focus of my current research.
I've not yet purchased the Death Certificate for George MILNE d.1905 but direct descendants assure me this is the correct entry.
Thank you for the Census information, I'd not found the 1901 for WFS yet, so that is very helpful.
The 1901 for George & Anna MILNE I do have (the Terrance is actually Florence), & the 1891 for Thomas Robinson has helped me to work back to 1841 Census quite easily, though Birth records are proving more challenging.
Your response is much appreciated & any help always most welcome,
Regards, Vicki

I have just spotted Rebecca's post with the Saxty Census in Consett 1901.   Yes this is my cousin Marion's family.      There is my late aunt Connie shown aged 6 years old.

Marion's daughter Hazel, grand-daughter of Constance Saxty lives in Tamworth whilst I am in Melbourne.    I'm not sure how to post images here else would insert some of Connie taken as far back as about 1930.

All the best,  Malcolm
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The Saxty's of Consett, and Edinburgh
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 07 March 13 05:56 GMT (UK) »
   I've found this paragraph in one of Auntie Connie's letters she wrote to me in 1984.   Hopefully it will help no end in tracing them back in Scotland.

"The Saxty family were an Edinburgh family, but all I know is my grandfather was one of a family of boys, my father used to ask me to get in touch with his cousins of whom one lived in Lothian Rd. Edinburgh.    One of Dads Uncles was was called Walter, my grandad was Henry, & another Frank.    One was a butcher, another kept a shoes shop.    I remember once meeting Uncle Walter when he came down to Consett from Edin. for my grandad’s 70th birthday party.    I don’t know if Grandad had any sisters as my Dad never spoke of any, it was always his Uncle’s he mentioned.   They were a well known musical family, & up to the 1960, one of Dad’s cousins (Peggy) formed a ladies orchestra & travelled to far & wide over Scotland.   She will be dead now.     Peggy married her Cousin Richard so never changed her name when she married.    Marion & I once called to see them when we were on holiday in Scotland & liked both Peggy & Richard who made us very welcome.    By their home & its beautiful furnishings & silver etc. they seemed in very good circumstances.   They only had one daughter but unfortunately she died of cancer & left no children either although she was only young & had only been married about two years when she died in Canada.    I believe my fathers Uncles lived in Lothian Rd. Edin.  there could even be some of the family still there.
However as I say I just don’t know how to start tracing them all.    My Gt.Grandfather I understand was concerned in shipping & married a Buckinghamshire lady.   She died in middle age."

Malcolm