Author Topic: 1891 & 1901 - Miranda Saxty & Father  (Read 21591 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 & 1901 - Miranda Saxty & Father
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 07 March 13 07:47 GMT (UK) »

The family are living in Edinburgh with Richard working as a ladies boot and shoe maker, employing 6 men.  They were living at 52 george street, edinburgh.  This finally confirms a story I have been told that we used to have a shop next door to the Edinburgh assembly hall 
Best wishes
Rebecca

Aha, Shoe Shop -

Auntie Connie's letter of 1984 - "The Saxty family were an Edinburgh family, but all I know is my grandfather was one of a family of boys, my father used to ask me to get in touch with his cousins of whom one lived in Lothian Rd. Edinburgh.    One of Dads Uncles was was called Walter, my grandad was Henry, & another Frank.    One was a butcher, another kept a shoes shop.

But this cannot be the same Richard that Connie visited if his wife was Peggy (short for Margaret I think?).

Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 07 March 13 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Richard & Millie moved to Edinburgh in 1849 and lived at No 2 The Mound (just below & to the left of Edinburgh Castle as you look at it from Princes Street). That building is now a hall of residence for Edinburgh Uni. They had four sons - Walter, Richard, Frank & Henry but Millie died from cancer in her early 50's. Richard was a butcher with premises in the city's infamous Rose Street. .... Richard & Sophia moved to a tenement flat in Edina Street. Walter also became a butcher, and Frank ran off to England where he became an engineer. My great grandfather Richard died at a very young age as did his son George (my grandfather), and as did his son Richard (my dad). And I'm another Richard ... 
....... Two of Richard's sons (Walter & Richard) married sisters called Taylor and they lived at 369 High Street (the Royal Mile) just opposite St Giles Cathedral....... but Henry and Richard are two names which run through John's line rather often ... Hope this is of some use to you both ....  :)

Again quoting from Auntie Connie's letter -
"The Saxty family were an Edinburgh family, but all I know is my grandfather was one of a family of boys, my father used to ask me to get in touch with his cousins of whom one lived in Lothian Rd. Edinburgh.    One of Dads Uncles was was called Walter, my grandad was Henry, & another Frank.    One was a butcher, another kept a shoes shop.    I remember once meeting Uncle Walter when he came down to Consett from Edin. for my grandad’s 70th birthday party.    I don’t know if Grandad had any sisters as my Dad never spoke of any, it was always his Uncle’s he mentioned.   They were a well known musical family, & up to the 1960, one of Dad’s cousins (Peggy) formed a ladies orchestra & travelled to far & wide over Scotland.   She will be dead now.     Peggy married her Cousin Richard so never changed her name when she married.    Marion & I once called to see them when we were on holiday in Scotland & liked both Peggy & Richard who made us very welcome.    By their home & its beautiful furnishings & silver etc. they seemed in very good circumstances.   They only had one daughter but unfortunately she died of cancer & left no children either although she was only young & had only been married about two years when she died in Canada.    I believe my fathers Uncles lived in Lothian Rd. Edin.  there could even be some of the family still there.
However as I say I just don’t know how to start tracing them all.    My Gt.Grandfather I understand was concerned in shipping & married a Buckinghamshire lady.   She died in middle age.
"
   So all the names Richard, Walter, Frank, Henry match and so do the Butcher and Shoes Shops.

It really has paid typing out all those letters and keeping them on file.

Malcolm
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 07 March 13 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone

I'm 'outside the box' on the latest postings to this thread but it's interesting to read what has been said - some six and a half years since I made the initial move  :)   

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
The Robinsons of Hunstanworth
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 07 March 13 20:09 GMT (UK) »

1891 Census, Living Blanchland, Durham
Thomas Robinson, 43, Retired lead miner, born Hunstanworth Durham
Mary Robinson, 45, born Blanchland, Durham
John Robinson, 18, Blacksmith apprentice, born Blanchland, Durham
Anna Robinson, 15, scholar                                                 "
William Robinson, 11, scholar                                              "
Rebecca Robinson, 6, scholar                                              "
Thomas Colpits, 81, father in law, retired farmer, born Walsingham, Durham

Just for the record for the benefit of whoever may be interested in Anna Saxty's Robinson family I searched the 1841 census which I have for Co. Durham on CD's.   Blanchland by the way is not in Durham but across the bridge over the Derwent and in Northumberland.    Blanchland Bridge does however show up in the Durham Census, but only one family.    The search is also complicated as Hunstanworth is given as Hurstonworth in the Index.

However these are the Robinson families I found:

Hunstanworth   John Robinson          60    Leadmine Agent    N
(No Street        Ann                          45                               N
 address given) Caroline                    25                               Y
                       Charlotte                   20                               Y
                       William                      20                               Y
                       Nicholas                     20                               Y
                       Joseph                       10                               Y
                         ??                              5 (female column)      Y
                       Another name with different surname not legible   70      N

Ramshaw         Thomas Robinson        55  Mine Agent            N
                       Elizabeth    "                                                N

Jeffrey's Rake   John Robinson             20  Lead Miner            Y
                       Mary                           15                             Y
                       Elis                     4 months                           Y

My gt.grandfather William Dent would have known the Robinsons as he was born at Whiteheaps Hunstanworth in 1855.    He went off to Consett when the Iron Works began expanding to avoid lead poisoning as the story goes, and then lost an eye in the Works.     I have a historic map of the Hunstanworth area including Ramshaw and Jeffrey's Rake, and I took some photos of the remaining cottages at Ramshaw on a trip to England back in the 1980's.    All very wild and desolate now.

Malcolm

Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 07 March 13 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone

I'm 'outside the box' on the latest postings to this thread but it's interesting to read what has been said - some six and a half years since I made the initial move  :)

We are so grateful that you did, Gerry.   So much is coming to light now.   Many many thanks, Malcolm
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Anna Saxty of Blanchland, Newcastle, Elswick, Manchester, Consett and Eccleshill
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 07 March 13 21:48 GMT (UK) »
   I have just received this email from cousin Marion who throws more light on to this side of the Saxty family.

"You have found information on my mothers family that I have been looking for --for years and hadn't been successful.    My mother was in the 1911 census--she was born in 1907 so the Constance in the 1901 census is her aunt--sister of her father William Frank Saxty.    Henry Saxty was my gt.grandfather who in his latter years lived in Bishop Aukland with his daughter Constance and I remember visiting him there.    I have photo of the four generations taken when I was 2 or 3 yrs old--me ,my mother , her father Frank and his father Henry.

The Anna Saxty who died at 10 Mount St. was my  mother's mother--Frank Saxty's wife. I was mistaken in thinking it was Chapel St   but now recall it was Mount St.!
Anna Saxty was first married to George Milne  and they had one son and three daughters before he died. Frank was  his best friend and kept an eye on Anna and her children before marrying her and they had 4 daughters--Elizabeth( Betty) was the youngest by quite a few years and she too lived in Eccleshill after she was married to James Quinn.

The 1891 census is the really important one for me --Anna being my Grandmother and Rebecca who also lived in Consett after she married and again I recall visiting her there.

I am so delighted to have all this info the 1911 census is my mothers family. I haven't decided how to fit in the family in the 1901 census living in Elswick, Durham."
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 08 March 13 04:24 GMT (UK) »
   More from Cousin Marion:

"In answer to your questions--this is an extract from the Consett newspaper about 1967  written probably by his grandson's wife Beth Carr who was a journalist and reporter. He had returned for a holiday 33yrs after leaving Consett for Bradford.
'William Frank Saxty was born in Derwent St Blackhill in 1884.  He was first apprenticed as a coach builder to Joseph Cowan and son --a Hexam firm who had premises in Taylor St. Consett. In 1906 he went to work for the Argyll Motor works and later moved to Manchester where in1912 he was one of the first men employed at Trafford Park in the Ford Motor company
In 1915 he returned to Blackhill and was coach building in the old ABC buses until 1933 when he moved to Bradford to the Experimental Department of the Jowett Motors retiring when he was aged 73.'

Marion:  "I remember him coming to stay with my parents to our home Bluehaze in Exeter--it must have been 1961 and forms had to be filled out for the census of all the people living at our address on that specific date. My mother had an argument with her father about she was sure  she was born in Consett and was very put out when she discovered it was in Sale so she was born in Lancashire!! She had always claimed to be a Consett girl!! I have an old photo of my grandmother with her 3 little daughters outside the house where they lived.
I am not sure where the Argyll motor works was --do you know??--maybe that was near Manchester.
He lived with my parents for a number of years  after he retired until my mother came home one day to find he had fallen and broken his hip and as she was working full time with her fireplace business decided he was better at Grove House in Harrogate a retirement home for RAOB members of which he had long been a member.   It was a super place just like a first class hotel and he was regularly taken on holiday from there so he was really happy.
I will try and copy the photo I have of the 4 generations plus his tools which our daughter Susan has and had them on display at the school where she was head of Design and Technology. There was a Ford Motor company in Swansea where she lives--(I believe it is now an Amazon Depot) and amazingly was contacted  by a John Saxty who had worked there until he retired   He saw the piece in the local paper about my grandfathers tools and their connection . He came to visit us on a trip he made to Devon to visit a relation and gave me quite a lot of ancestry notes about the Saxty's.    Sadly he died a couple of years ago whilst at a meeting on ancestry--heart attack I think.
My mother had also traced a Dick Saxty who was a journalist for the Sun newpaper--I am pretty sure he lived in Manchester and she visited him and his family a few times.    She also found a Callie Saxty who was curator of  a castle in Cornwall -- Callies husband was a Saxty.   The name of the castle I just cannot recall."
AND
"My mother said Frank's mother was from a family of glove makers in Bath??
My mother and I went to Edinburgh on holiday when I was 17 or 18 and we called on a Saxty family who lived there but do not know the connection!"

Malcolm:  This tells us a lot about William Frank and I cannot wait to see the photos.   But Frank's mother Sarah was born in Gateshead according to the census, so I think Auntie Connie must have been referring to his grandmother Amelia Puxton.      Does anyone know anything of glove makers in Bath in the mid 19th century?
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Henry Saxty and Family Consett 1891
« Reply #34 on: Friday 08 March 13 05:25 GMT (UK) »
36 Front Street     
Henry Saxty             Head     M.    37    Plumber and Gasfitter    Born Scotland
Sarah       “              Wife      M.    36                                               Gateshead
Geo.         “              Son              11                                               Blackhill
John R     “               Son                9                                                     “
Wm. F.     “               Son               6                                                     “
Mary G.    “               Dtr.               4                                                Consett
Amelia(?)  “              Dtr.               1                                                               

I had a google look for 36 Front Street today and got a shock.    It shows a boarded up building - Woolworths.      I must have been inside there many times during the War.  I can recall being sent there to get some metal washers which we used to screw on to saucepans that had got a hole in them.  They were round pieces of metal about the size of a penny with a rubber lining and screws to fasten them tight.

Google say that picture was taken in 2009.    Have since discovered that that store closed down in December 2008 and there is a photo of Brights Consett dated 2008 which shows that the whole lot has been divided and refronted before the Google photo was taken.    How did they do that?

Henry and Sarah's daughter Amelia must have been named after his mother Amelia Puxton.

I wonder if William Frank was inspired to go into motor car manufacturing by Mr. Bean's Dad?  Mr.Atkinson senior not only owned the Empire Cinema which is opposite the old Woollies, but he had a Garage in Consett too.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 09 March 13 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rebecca
My Saxty tree starts in Batheaston with the birth of John Saxty c.1771.  He married Anna Rawlings in 1792 in Batheaston.   John died 1831, nothing more has been found about Anna.   

Could this be her - http://176.34.78.216/fhdb/fhSearchResults.php

Caught Stealing and sentenced in Bath Quarter Sessions on 4 January 1839 to 2 weeks in Bath Goal.      I think they mean Gaol, but perhaps two weeks keeping goal for the Bath Football team might have been on the cards.    Reference QS/2/3/1/0151

But seriously things could have been getting tough for her 8 years after John died.

Something else there - a probate for Robert Saxty - will have a look,

Malcolm