Author Topic: 1891 & 1901 - Miranda Saxty & Father  (Read 21590 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 & 1901 - Miranda Saxty & Father
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 09 March 13 04:31 GMT (UK) »
Probate on Robert Saxty's will granted 15/8/1819  Bath Ancestors - Reference BC153/1314/1

Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 09 March 13 04:38 GMT (UK) »
  There are more records at Bath Ancestors for Robert Saxty 1772 and 1781 paying rates of 8s and 2s.   But then a rather interesting reference to a Mr R Saxty for a petition - Bath Loyal Association in 1792/3.

What I was really looking for was a street directory for Bath, for if Amelia Puxton was from a family of glove makers then they might be listed for that trade.

I have had no luck looking for a Peggy (Saxty?) therefore Margaret who married a Richard Saxty(?) in Scotland then formed a ladies orchestra and toured Scotland.

Malcolm
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Charles Henry Saxty born about 1828 in Batheaston Somerset.   
Gerry

Thomas Saxty was also born in Batheaston, about 1825, and he also worked for the GWR.   His son Albert born 1859 enlisted in the army upping his age and using the name of Alfred.    Albert was one of the heroic soldiers who fought off the Zulu Army led by Cetawayo at Rorke's Drift.  He went on to serve in Burma where he was briefly married and then disappeared for about 30 years, turning up in London in 1930.     He died in 1936.

My interest is the same as Becky's, i.e. Richard Saxty who married Amelia Puxton in Bath but then the couple moved to Edinburgh.     Richard was born circa 1814.
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Merry Christmas everyone :)

Charles Saxty c.1828, Thomas Saxty c.1825, both born in Batheaston.   I wonder if anyone has discovered a blood relationship between the two?

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 19:19 GMT (UK) »
     Just for the record if any Saxty researcher comes across this page - http://www.uk.mundia.com/gb/Person/30564628/12788815538 then please note that Alaister Milne has got the date of this Constance Saxty's death wrong.    It was my cousin Marion's mother, also called Constance Saxty who died in 1996 not her great aunt who would have died Marion thinks in the mid 1970's.

Yes Gerry it does seem that Thomas and Charles were very likely brothers.   If only we could track that connection down.    I wonder if Kris Wheatley found out more when she was writing her account on Albert Saxty - refer http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/4189340.Chequered_life_of_a_Zulu_war_hero/      Albert's story is apparently in volume 2 of her books
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline agmmilne

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Malcolm, this is Alastair Milne.  I've heard my mother (Marion's Aunt Gladys's daughter) mention you a number of times.  You were right about the error in the date of Constance Saxty Sr.'s death -- pity, I thought 102 was an excellent age to reach.  Oh well.  I forget the reason for the confusion between the 2 Constances, but I found the death index listing for Constance Sr and the Ancestry tree has been updated.

Mundia, however, may be a problem.  It acts as if I've logged in, then keeps knocking me back to a login window.  Nor is it happy letting me login from Facebook.  So I can only hope the change in the Ancestry tree will get taken up by Mundia.

BTW, did you try sending me a message about it?  I note there are e-mail links in the Mundia page, or were when I could still reach it.  Either way, I'm glad you spotted it, as I surely would not have.

As to the Edinburgh Saxtys, whom I've seen discussed in previous messages, they were included in the tree that I received from Christine Meikeljohn, that was started by her mother.  As I recall she took it back to the generation that were in and around Bath before moving, for reasons unknown, to Edinburgh.  This was the genesis of the tree I put in Ancestry, so I suspect that Mundia also makes it available.

But to me, the most mysterious of the Milne/Saxty siblings is William Milne, the firstborn.  I have some info that he lived til 1980, and married somebody called "Millicent" or "Millie", who used to be called "Big Millie" to distinguish her from Auntie Millie (Brewis).  Millie Brown, I think was her name.  But I've also heard that he didn't survive childhood.  Obviously there are more than enough William Milnes for Ancestry to provide a torrent of "hints", but identifying him out of the stream seems impossible, so I'm not getting any further ahead.

Thanks,
Alastaor

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alaistair,
   Good to see you here on Rootschat and welcome as I see it is your first post.    No it wasn't me trying to send messages on Mundia.    But I know how frustrating it is trying to put the odd error right.    I have had the same thing with World Connect and with the LDS in the past.    In the end I send them a message and still nothing happens.    Not so long ago I corrected a major error began by others on Clan Turnbull.  They did acknowledge and they did change one of the partners but not the other.     This goes to stress the importance of checking everything oneself and never rely on other people's research no matter how good you know they are.
   I got mixed up myself with the two Constance Saxty's when I first came across the Aunt living in Consett in one census.   But Marion soon put me right there.
    When I get a moment I'll have a look at the William Milne problem.   You never know I might come across something that will explain all.    As I discovered with the Willis case in Melbourne, you sometimes only have to ask the question and then eventually something will come out of the blue.
    Please keep in touch, and good luck with your searches,   Malcolm
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline Mark Saxon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 04 November 21 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am trying to glean some information about a J. Saxty of Edinburgh in late 1929 to 1930.
I have been on Scotland's people and knocked up a quick family tree in Family Search which shows it can only really be either:

James Gibson Saxty 1885-1960 (1930 at 75 Warreneder Park Road) or

John Macintosh Saxty 1880-1942 (1930 at 15 Falcon Avenue or 1 Viewpoint Square)

They were both sons of William Frank Saxty 1855-1915.
His father was Richard Saxty 1813-1895 who I see have both appeared on this thread !

The reason for my interest is that I have recently acquired a vintage Armstrong Siddeley Motor Car sold by Rossleigh of Edinburgh in December 1929.

The client was recorded as J. Saxty.

I have no other information and just wondered if anyone reading this thread had any more information about either oi these two chaps.

By 1947 the car was in Southend on Sea and owned by a lady with the name of Miss Edith Mabel Campion. She surrendered her driving license in 1965 and the car was stored until about 1981.

I have not been able to establish any link between the Campion and Saxty families thus far so the car may well have been sold after J. Saxty's ownership. Or was he perhaps a car dealer ?