Author Topic: 1891 & 1901 - Miranda Saxty & Father  (Read 21588 times)

Offline Carrow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 & 1901 - Miranda Saxty & Father
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 April 07 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your welcome and reply!  Of course you can have a copy of the death cert - if you let me have your e-mail that will be fine.

As to the relationship between CHS and Miranda:  Miranda had two older siblings - a brother Thomas b1844 and sister Ellen b1846.  Their mother Maria Wheeler eventually married Thomas Knight in 1850, and they had two more children.  The name Knight is actually on Ellen's birth certificate (although crossed out and re-inserted).  So she definitely knew Thomas before Miranda's birth. 

I believe CHS was in Batheaston in 1841, married in Bedminster (Bristol) in 1850 and was in Liverpool in the 1851 census, so unless you know that he could have been in Gloucester in 1847, my instinct is that he and Miranda had the affair!

Fascinating, isn't it?
Batten, Bevan, Burge, Clement(s), Davis, Dimon, Oldfield, Paul, Rowe, Sirl, Woodland (all mainly Bristol/Somerset/Dorset).  Hayes, Knight, Sanigar, Wheeler (mainly Glos).  Wharington (Staffs/Bristol).

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 April 07 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have sent you a PM

Gerry

Offline becky.g

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 14 June 07 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have Saxty's in my tree in the Bath/ Bathford area and was wondering if there is any connection.

I have a Richard Saxty (born c.1811) who married Ameila Puxton (born c. 1823). They married in 1849.
I know his father was John Saxty - but as yet have not pinned down which John.

Do you have a link to this Richard at all among your Saxtys?

Many thanks

Rebecca
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 June 07 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Rebecca

Thanks for making contact and I have seen an extract from St Catherine's marriage index which shows Richard Saxty, sadly I cannot connect with Saxty's in my tree.

My Saxty tree starts in Batheaston with the birth of John Saxty c.1771.  He married Anna Rawlings in 1792 in Batheaston.   John died 1831, nothing more has been found about Anna.    Their children: John - date of birth unknown, Elizabeth c.1795, Susannah c.1797, Charles Henry c.1798, Anne c.1800, Mary c.1802 and Sophia c.1806.     

In hope,  I looked at the LDS site but there is no birth for a Richard Saxty c.1811 or anything that might identify him to the family above.

Saxty is an uncommon name but I have found several spelling variations, however, yours is from Bath and mine is from Batheaston but I can't fill the narrow gap between.  I'm sorry to send a negative reply, wish  I could be more helpful.

gerry

Offline becky.g

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 June 07 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi.

Many thanks for your reply - I live in hope of taking this line back a little further.

The marriage that you mention or St Catherines is indeed my Richards first marriage.  Shortly after this he and Amelia moved off to Edinburgh

On Richards first marriage his father is John Saxty Tailor
On Richards 2nd marriage (in Edinburgh) his mother is shown as Leah Saxty nee Whitaker, his father deceased John Saxty, Tailor.

I had looked at jour 1771 John and Anna Rawlings - but I have also made no link there.

I have been in touch with someone else who had linked john to be son of John Saxty 1752 from Priston (Somerset), who in turn was son of John 1705, also from Priston but unfortunatly she is off line due to ill health and I am not sure of her sources to verify the details, or to build on them further.

Saxty is indeed fairly uncommon name - though having lived with it all my life I am fairly good at spotting the many varients around ;D

I keep hunting I guess - I know Richard married twice and fathered a whole load of children - he must have a family somewhere.

Best wishes

Rebecca

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 June 07 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Rebecca

I have looked again at the IGI, attempting to link the names and dates you show but have drawn a blank.

You mention  Richard's first marriage in 1849 to Ameila Puxton and Richard's father was John Saxty Tailor.  Is this detail taken from a marriage certificate and is the father John Saxty, occupation Tailor?   Does it give Ameila's age, also her father's name  and his occupation?  Where did the marriage take place and if the couple moved to Edinburgh  then it's quite possible they were still there for the 1851 census - have you tried to find them in Scotland?

Richard married again, to Leah Whittaker, when and where did this marriage take place.    What can you add about Leah, what age is shown on the marriage certificate, what is the name of her father and his occupation and have you tried to find them through census returns after their marriage date?

I'm not sure how much research you have done but there could  be avenues you have not yet  explored  and this site has many friendly people ready and willing to help with your research.   

I do hope you can add a little more information and if so your Saxty research can be advanced.

gerry

Offline becky.g

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 June 07 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerry,

Many thanks for taking a look at this lot.

I have a copy of the marriage certificate for Richard and Amelia Puxton - both 'of age'.  They married 20th feb 1849 in the Parish Church in the Parish of St James, Bath. Richards father was John a Tailor and Amelias Peter Puxton, White Smith.  Richard was at the time living at York Street.

Until today I have not found them on the 1851 census - but using the search on ancestry rather than scotlands people I have located them, and, using a different family on the census page have finaly found their entry there.
The family are living in Edinburgh with Richard working as a ladies boot and shoe maker, employing 6 men.  They were living at 52 george street, edinburgh.  This finally confirms a story I have been told that we used to have a shop next door to the Edinburgh assembly hall  ;D

Amelia died April 1858 in Edinburgh.

Richard later married Sophia Burgundy september 1862 in Edinburgh  (he widower her spinster)  His father was listed as John Saxty - tailor, deceased and mother Leah Saxty (maiden name Whitaker) deceased

Richard died  feb 1895 and his death certificate again lists John saxty tailor, deceased as his father and Leah Saxty (maiden name Whitaker) deceased as his mother.

I believe I have my Richard in 1841 census, at which point he was living in Pultenay Street, Bathwick, Bath, aged 25 working as m.s. (male servant) in the household of Charles Bill, independent means.

I have Amelias line a little further back - a line of peter Puxtons in Laverton, but any suggestions on the saxty line would be appreciated.

Best wishes
Rebecca

Offline Gerry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 June 07 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Rebecca

I'm glad you have made some progress.   You appear to have Richard Saxty in 1841 and 1851 so with census returns you can only go forward.   I don't have access to Ancestry but if you hit the 'brick wall' and need help then  can I suggest you start a new thread on the appropriate county or country. 

Sometimes the IGI offers a clue to events before 1837 but none of the names you offer appear to register.

I'm also sending you a PM.

God luck with your searches

Gerry

Offline Dicktorian

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 July 07 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Gerry/Rebecca ?
I have to do this from memory as my family tree notes from research i did 20 years ago have been lost (hopefully they will turn up) ....
 Richard Saxty and Amelia (Millie) Puxton were my great-great grandparents. Richard was definitely one of John Saxty's sons, born in Bathwick c1810 - his mum was Leah Whittaker who was John's 2 or 3rd wife ! It is distinctly possible that John was responsible for most of the Saxty's living today - his wives all had children and I'm pretty sure he didn't set much store in his marriage vows !
 Richard & Millie moved to Edinburgh in 1849 and lived at No 2 The Mound (just below & to the left of Edinburgh Castle as you look at it from Princes Street). That building is now a hall of residence for Edinburgh Uni. They had four sons - Walter, Richard, Frank & Henry but Millie died from cancer in her early 50's. Richard was a butcher with premises in the city's infamous Rose Street. As you know, he remarried - to Sophia Burgundy, a native of Guadalope, who was a servant girl living in Edinburgh (Frederick Street I think). Richard's sons did not take to stepmum & the family split up with a great deal of acrimony.
 Richard & Sophia moved to a tenement flat in Edina Street. Walter also became a butcher, and Frank ran off to England where he became an engineer. My great grandfather Richard died at a very young age as did his son George (my grandfather), and as did his son Richard (my dad). And I'm another Richard ... 
I don't know what happened to Sophia - after Richard's death, she moved to England and I believe she died in a home in the early 20th.  I never managed to pin down any records on her.
 Many years ago there was a photograph of Richard & Sophia which was definitely seen by one of my aunts and also a distant cousin. They were positive it was destroyed - (what a great shame) - because of the upset that marriage had caused in the Saxty family in the last quarter of the 19th century.
 Two of Richard's sons (Walter & Richard) married sisters called Taylor and they lived at 369 High Street (the Royal Mile) just opposite St Giles Cathedral. Sarah Taylor was my great grand-mother and I do have a picture of her with her two children (my dad & his sister). More will come back to me I'm sure - but Henry and Richard are two names which run through John's line rather often ... Hope this is of some use to you both ....  :)