Author Topic: STRODE - PENNY family of Pilton and Shepton Mallet  (Read 9081 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: STRADE - PENNY family of Pilton and Shepton Mallet
« Reply #9 on: Monday 20 April 09 14:50 BST (UK) »
To return to the original query there are baptisms as follows:

Shepton Mallet, St Peter and Paul.

Born 21/03/1791, baptised September 1792, Joseph Isaac Penny, son of Joseph Isaac and Eleanor Penny.

03/01/1798 Matilda Strode daughter of Joseph Isaac and Eleanor Penny. Note: father's surname shown as Isaac and mother's as Penny.

Born 23/08/1807, baptised 19/07/1817, Barnard Strode Penny, son of Joseph Isaac and Eleanor Penny. Father's abode shown as Ham, occupation a druggist.

There is also a baptism in Shepton Mallet for Mary Symes Penny, born 09/08/1795, baptised 30/03/1796. She was daughter of Joseph Isaac and Eleanor Penny.

Jo

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 April 09 14:53 BST (UK) »
In connection with the Strode family and Southill House, Cranmore, you might like to see the History section of http://www.cranmore-somerset.co.uk

Local historian, Mary de Viggiani wrote a book called, "Two Estates" which covered the history of the Strode family of Southill House and the Paget family of Cranmore Hall.

Jo

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 April 09 15:01 BST (UK) »
There are 3 burials for William Richmond in Shepton Mallet as follows:

Buried 23/02/1840 William Richmond aged 71. Abode shown as Peter Street.

Buried 06/07/1840 William Richmond aged 43 of Croscombe.

Buried 01/09/1847 William Richmond aged 23 Kent Farm.

Jo

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 April 09 15:16 BST (UK) »
Baptism for William Richmond in Shepton Mallet as follows:

Born 15/02/1797, baptised 04/03/1797, William Richmond, son of William and Betty Richmond.

Siblings baptised there too:

John Richmond, born 5 September 1785, baptised 01/10/1785, son of William and Betty Richmond.

Elizabeth Richmond, baptised 27/05/1787, daughter of William and Elizabeth Richmond.

Anna Richmond, born 03/06/1789, baptised 06/06/1789, daughter of William and Betty Richmond.

Lydia Richmond, born 24/04/1791. baptised 11/05/1791, daughter of William and Betty Richmond.

Judith Richmond, born 25/05/1792, baptised 02/06/1792, daughter of William and Betty Richmond.

Lydia Richmond, born 12/02/1800, baptised 22/02/1800, daughter of William and Betty Richmond.

This is not exhaustive.

There were other families with the name of Richmond baptising children there too.

Jo

Offline Alan Clark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: STRODE - PENNY family of Pilton and Shepton Mallet
« Reply #13 on: Monday 20 April 09 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hello Jo,

I followed the link that you gave to the Somerset records and have found a George frederick Richmond born in Croscombe on 32rh April 1834 to father, William Richmond, & mother, Matilda Strode, so that's good enough for me. I now happy that the William & Matilda are my great, great, great grandparents.

I am just a little bit bemused as to why she is recorded as jsut Strode & not Strode Penny?!?

Regards,

Alan

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Strode-Penny family of Pilton and Shepton Mallet
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 July 09 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Phil,

I've been digging into the Richmond side of my family and Mary Ellen Richmond, my grandmother, was born in Hoxton in 1885.

From there I've got back to her father, Edward Robert Richmond, born in Highbridge, Somerset in 1864 and his father, George Frederick Richmond, born in Croscombe, a small village 2 miles from Shepton Mallet in 1834.

From there I've had a few problems but I know from George Frederick's wedding certificate that his father's name was William Richmond.

I'm pretty sure from my research that this William Richmond married Matilda Strode-Penny because I've got a copy of a death certificate for Matilda Strode Richmond, who died on 15th March 1865 in Pilton, aged 67.

I've also got a copy of her Last Will and Testament which shows that she made her brother, Joseph Isaac Penny and a friend, William Gane, her executors.

In the will she left property to three sons, George Frederick Richmond, Henry Strode Richmond and William Richmond.

I know that at the time of the 1861 Census she was living in Town Street, Shepton Mallet with her unmarried daughter, Eleanor, aged 23.

An Eleanor Matilda Strode Richmond was born n the quarter Jan/Mar 1838.

Although not having positive proof that the William who married Matilda was in fact my great, great, great grandfather, I think the fact that one of her sons was named George Frederick Richmond & my great, great grandfather had a daughter named Mary Matilda suggests that I've got the right couple.

Sorry if this has been a bit long winded. If you want any further information, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Many thanks for this Alan. I have also b een trying to tidy up the Richmond connection to this family, and what you have posted is very helpful.

In researching your RICHMOND connections, can you tell me when and where George Frederick RICHMOND married? Was it in Somerset in 1856 to Fanny YOUNG, or is that the wrong link?

Also, if your research shows up a New Zealand connection, please let me know, as I am seeking a Frederick William RICHMOND, born about 1864, who later married Amy Agnes CANDY in New Zealand in 1892. I'm not sure if he was born in New Zealand or in England, or if he is related to the Somerset RICHMONDs.

Kind regards

Phil Candy

Offline Philcandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 09 July 09 21:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Jo,

I followed the link that you gave to the Somerset records and have found a George Frederick Richmond born in Croscombe on 32rd April 1834 to father, William Richmond, & mother, Matilda Strode, so that's good enough for me. I now happy that the William & Matilda are my great, great, great grandparents.

I am just a little bit bemused as to why she is recorded as just Strode & not Strode Penny?!?

Regards,

Alan

I wonder if the family surname was RICHMOND, and the parents were simply listed as William (RICHMOND) and Matilda Strode (RICHMOND)?

Phil

Offline pendragon71

• RootsChat Extra
  • YOUNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 December 12 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
My YOUNG family goes back to the Richmond family through Fanny Young = George Frederick Richmond,at St cuthberts ,Wells,Somerset.

Regards
Martin

My YOUNG family tree is on GenesReunited.com
Young - Somerset,Wells,Bridgewater,Highbridge,Croscombe,Glastonbury,Axbridge