Author Topic: Where born in Ireland?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Kate7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where born in Ireland?
« on: Saturday 22 July 06 14:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, this is my first post, only discovered the site yesterday, I suspect this subject has come up many times before, but I wonder if anyone can help me trace where my great grandparents were actually born in Ireland.

They are Charles Gavan and Elizabeth Bonar married in Greenock in 1876.  I discovered on the site yesterday that in the 1881 census for Greenock that their surname was spelt 'Garven'!  Hence why I could never find them!  This was a posting by a lady called 'gill' in April, 2004 - it was very exciting to at last find this information.  The place of birth is 'Ireland'.  Can someone advise me where to go next? Charles Gavan's (or Garven's) parents were Charles Gavan and Martha Boyle - on their marriage certificate so presume they moved to Greenock too.

It would be good to know who was enquiring about my grandparents in 2004 - it's likely we're related!

I've probably gone about this the wrong way, but thanks anyway for your help.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where born in Ireland?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 July 06 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate

Welcome to Rootschat

If you go to the following topic, scroll down to the last reply and you will see the option to post a reply.  Gill will get a notification that you have replied to her post.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,3633.0.html

Another option is to click on the little green scroll beneath her "coat of arms" (to the left of the above topic) and you can send her a personal message.

Good luck

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IMG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Where born in Ireland?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 August 06 06:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

Elizabeth Bonnar is the sister of my gg grandmother Bridget Bonnar, sometimes known as Bonar.

Your Charles Gavan married Elizabeth Bonnar in 1876 and his brother James Gavan married Elizabeth's sister Sarah Bonnar in 1874.

I've sent you copies of both marriage records.

Ina
Bonnar, Larkin, Ferguson, Douglas, McDougall, Moran, Higgins, Gilmour