Author Topic: Baptism - a puzzler! (WINTERBOTTOM)  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Jane Eden

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism - a puzzler! (WINTERBOTTOM)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 24 July 06 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire

Heather is excellent at solving impossible problems. We must not get fixed on GRE as you do not know where in Nottingham he came from.

I will give it more thought and maybe Heather may have some ideas. I have been hunting around the NFHS CDs but have not found anything yet.

I have put out a few feelers in other directions so awaiting a reply from them. Can't explain in public.

Jane
Notts: Burrows, Comery, Foster, Beeson.
Derbys: Burrows, Comery, Smith  Lincs: King. 

Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Heather D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 07:32 BST (UK) »
I have put out a few feelers in other directions so awaiting a reply from them. Can't explain in public.

Jane

Very mysterious Jane ...message me, I'm intrigued!

Thanks for the compliment but I'm as flummoxed by this as anyone. Must admit, my first thought when seeing someone using two surnames is, "illegitimate". But I'm sure you've been down that route too and nothing obvious springs out of the available indexes.

I was never convinced by Greasley because, if I remember correctly, our George/William describes his birthplace twice as Nottingham, Notts. A Notts person would know them as very separate places ...unless of course he didn't live there very long. Which brings me to the other possibility, that they weren't a Notts family at all, and he was born there while they were passing through for whatever reason. Winterbottom and it's variants is a very "northern" name.

Neither thought of course, helps much :) I hope something comes out of your enquiries Jane. Meanwhile Claire, I'd keep plugging away and collecting all the info you can in the hope it throws up a clue. Do you know what happened to Isabella for example? I was wondering if she also married....I'm also curious about the Phoebe Severs living with Martha and William in 1841 but that's a whole other question, I know!

Heather
Nottinghamshire: Willmott, Williams, Oldham, Padgett, Burden, Stokes, Huskinson, Tuckwood, Morley, Barnett
Lincolnshire: Foster, Dennis, Mowbray
Leicestershire: Mowbray,Hudson, Tuckwood
Derbyshire: Starbrook
Somerset: Willmott, Elliott
Cork:Driscoll, Murphy
London Surrey:Driscoll, Cheesman
London Kent:Cheesman
Kent:Cheesman, Davis, West, Hills, Kneller, Bones, Eastup

Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Shh! Be very, very quiet... I'm hunting forebears!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 July 06 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you to both of you - it sure is a strange one!

I too am intrigued by Jane's "feelers" comment - can you explain in private? ;)

I don't know what happened to Isabella - I can't find the family at all after 1861 - I'm sure they can't have all disappeared though, and I've no idea about Phoebe too - I wondered if that was a mistake by the ennumerator.

Thank you again for all your help

~ Claire
BRADBURY, BAYLEY, WINTERBOTTOM, HOLMES, BRUCE, ROBINSON, ANDREW (All Cheshire/Lancashire area.)<br /><br />HOYLE (Yorkshire), GRAY (Bedford), HORLEY (Bedford), RENSHAW, WILDE, MEREDITH, BRIDGEHOUSE and SUGDEN (Cheshire/Lancashire)<br /><br />BATE, BATES, HEARSUM (Essex), HALLOWS, LANGFIELD, HAGUE, TRAVIS, COOPER, ALLEN, MACE (Cheshire, Lancashire)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk