Author Topic: Parish Records for Chipping, Lancs  (Read 5254 times)

Offline northern_rose

• RootsChat Veteran
  • At least one of my ancestors was glamorous!
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Records for Chipping, Lancs
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 September 06 20:49 BST (UK) »
I'm at LRO tomorrow so will have a look for you!
Wilson in the Lancaster area
Clegg in Todmorden
Adamson in Edinburgh
Miller in Edinburgh
Nunn in Norfolk and Co Durham
Smith in Glasgow
Haig in Peebles/Edinburgh
Also Nelson, Gardener, Garnett, Blair, Coleman, Aaronson and many more as the branches expand!

Census info is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline northern_rose

• RootsChat Veteran
  • At least one of my ancestors was glamorous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 20:21 BST (UK) »
Well I went to LRO last night and spent about an hour looking up your family. Here is what I found.....

• Baptisms in Chipping - looked at Nov 1799 to 1808. I couldn't find Edward Helme. However, there were some baptisms missing around 1806 and the 1807/8 records were very faded and hard to read.
  • I did find a baptism for a William Helme son of Edward and Ann Helme of Chipping born 30th April 1801, baptised 20th June 1801. Not sure if William fits into your tree?
  • At St Michaels Church Cockerham - Marriage records
    5th Feb 1826 Edward Helme Farmer of parish. married Hannah Woodhouse spinster by banns. He signed she made her mark. The curate was William Armistead, witnesses James Hayes and Thomas Wright. Thomas Wright appeared as a witness on several of the records so he could have been a parish clerk rather than a friend!
  • Baptism records from Caton Church -
    8th Jan 1832 Thomas son of Edward & Hannah Helme of Caton. Father's occupation - silk comber. (No longer a farmer or a different couple????)
    I couldn't find the other kids baptised at Caton.
    At Caton there were several other Helme children baptised whose parents were John and Ann. John was a stone mason. Again not sure if John and Ann fit into your tree anywhere?

I think I might have created a few questions for you!!
Wilson in the Lancaster area
Clegg in Todmorden
Adamson in Edinburgh
Miller in Edinburgh
Nunn in Norfolk and Co Durham
Smith in Glasgow
Haig in Peebles/Edinburgh
Also Nelson, Gardener, Garnett, Blair, Coleman, Aaronson and many more as the branches expand!

Census info is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

titch33

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 06 September 06 23:12 BST (UK) »
i have found a edward helme born abt1796 preston married ellen bullcock born abt 1801 preston  married 31 Dec 1821  St. Johns, Preston, Lancs., Eng

edward helme born 19 Nov 1814 christened 20 Nov 1814  St. Johns, Preston parents Tempest HELME born  Abt 1788 married Alice SCHOLER born Abt 1792 Preston, Marriage:  22 Apr 1810  St. Johns, Preston, Lancs., Eng.

Offline Nightingale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 September 06 19:38 BST (UK) »
i have found a edward helme born abt1796 preston married ellen bullcock born abt 1801 preston  married 31 Dec 1821  St. Johns, Preston, Lancs., Eng

edward helme born 19 Nov 1814 christened 20 Nov 1814  St. Johns, Preston parents Tempest HELME born  Abt 1788 married Alice SCHOLER born Abt 1792 Preston, Marriage:  22 Apr 1810  St. Johns, Preston, Lancs., Eng.

Thanks - not sure where he fits in but I am sure it will be somewhere.

Anne

Offline Nightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 September 06 19:49 BST (UK) »
Well I went to LRO last night and spent about an hour looking up your family. Here is what I found.....

• Baptisms in Chipping - looked at Nov 1799 to 1808. I couldn't find Edward Helme. However, there were some baptisms missing around 1806 and the 1807/8 records were very faded and hard to read.
  • I did find a baptism for a William Helme son of Edward and Ann Helme of Chipping born 30th April 1801, baptised 20th June 1801. Not sure if William fits into your tree?

• At St Michaels Church Cockerham - Marriage records
    5th Feb 1826 Edward Helme Farmer of parish. married Hannah Woodhouse spinster by banns. He signed she made her mark. The curate was William Armistead, witnesses James Hayes and Thomas Wright. Thomas Wright appeared as a witness on several of the records so he could have been a parish clerk rather than a friend!
  • Baptism records from Caton Church -
    8th Jan 1832 Thomas son of Edward & Hannah Helme of Caton. Father's occupation - silk comber. (No longer a farmer or a different couple????)
    I couldn't find the other kids baptised at Caton.
    At Caton there were several other Helme children baptised whose parents were John and Ann. John was a stone mason. Again not sure if John and Ann fit into your tree anywhere?

I think I might have created a few questions for you!!

Thanks very much for checking for me.   Thomas, the son of Edward and Hannah is definitely my relative.  However whether the Thomas and Hannah who married at Cockerham are the same Thomas and Hannah - who knows.
Back to the drawing board.  Again many thanks.

Offline Nightingale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 September 06 19:53 BST (UK) »
Chipping have a local history Society, that meet
in St Marys Village Hall, they can be contacted through
a care of address at Chipping Post Office.
They meet on a Sunday (I think it is the first Sunday
of the Month- but not in the Winter Months)

Jinks

Thanks - that info could come in very handy.