Author Topic: Burial records - Surname Lockerbie  (Read 3912 times)

Offline susan3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Burial records - Surname Lockerbie
« on: Monday 24 July 06 02:41 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Could some one please be kind enough to look in Dalton, Lochmaben and/or Tinwald lair registers /burial records pre1855. 

Seeking burial of James Lockerbie and wife Janette(Jean) Gilchrist Lockerbie
(Lockerby).  They had two children: Jean Smith Lockerbie  in 1801 and a son James in 1807. They were probably married about 1799/1800 but I can't find a record of that in Dumfriesshire.

I don't mean to ask for alot but if its an easy index to run through I be grateful.  I have no access to these records in the U.S.  Many, Many Thanks

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial records - Surname Lockerbie
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

I don't have access to any burial records (paper copies at least), but I do live in the general area, and next time I am in Dalton/Lochmaben cemeteries I'll have a look for the listed James and Janette nee Gilchrist Lockerbie/Lockerby and any kids..

Regards

Kojak :-)
Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline susan3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 November 06 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your kindness. I am so overjoyed.  Happy Hunting...Susan

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 December 06 10:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Progress report...

No sign of any grave stones at the Dalton Parish cemetery for a James Lockerbie (by) or Janette (Jean) Gilchrist or any of the siblings.

I have vsited the new Lochmaben cemetery and found some Lockerbie's (by's) which may be your relations.  I have photos of their graves and shall post them as soon as I have downloaded them from my camera and transribed them for you.

On reflection, given that the James and Janette were married around 1800, if the lived and died pre 1860s in the Lochmaben parish, they would probably be buried in the old Kirkyard, which I shall visit next dryish day I have spare.  The old kirkyard is quite overgrown and has a few broken stones I am told, so fingers crossed. 

I'll keep you posted...

Best wishes,

Green, Gibson, Ross, Telfer, Pattie, Jardine, Hay, Kennedy, Dickson, in Dumfriesshire esp Applegarth, Lochmaben and Kirkcudbright

Thom, Raeburn, Grant and Allan (Mainly Banffshire - 16th-19th century but also old Aberdeenshire) as well as having an interest in Cruickshank (in Banffshire circa mid 19th century)
Cormack & McBain in Ross and Cromerty and Banffshire/Aberdeenshire pre 20th century

McClelland, MacNeill (Argyll, Scotland and Northern Ireland), MacCully, Carson, Northern Ireland

Offline susan3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 December 06 23:44 GMT (UK) »
You are the greatest!!!  My fingers are crossed.  Best to you and yours...Susan

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 December 06 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Susan,

The first pic should be readable without transcription...Hope its linked to your family tree.  Both graves are found in the new Lochmaben cemetery.

Transcription for the 2nd may be required (Francis Lockerbie).  Close up pic to follow.

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 December 06 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Susan,

The 2nd close up pic of the Lockerbie family grave (again taken in the new Lochmaben cemetery) should open up and be easily readable.  Please let me know if these need transcibed, or if you wish further pics of the graveyard.

There appears to be only 2 graves in the new Lochmaben cemetery for the Lockerbie family (I couldnt find any for Gilchrist).

Next stop will be the Old graveyard !

Best wishes,

Offline kojak

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 December 06 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan

I havent forgotten about the trip to the old cemetery to search for some folks.

I'll get there soon enough..

Best wishes,

Kojak