Author Topic: Help needed in Denbighshire// Please  (Read 2098 times)

Offline alicebob

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Help needed in Denbighshire// Please
« on: Monday 24 July 06 05:12 BST (UK) »
My  GG grandfather, Robert Jones, was born abt 1793 in Llangynhafal to Thomas & Jane Jones.
His wife, Catherine Roberts, was born in Llanrhaidr in Cinmerch abt 1797.
I have the BMD Registers for Llangynhafal Parish but to many Thomas's married to many Jane's. :'(
Where should I look for marriages and baptisms in the 1700's and early 1800's? ???

Thanks in advance for any help,

Bob
Jones- Llangynhafal, Llandyrnog
Davies- Denbigh
Parry- Llanrhaiadr
Roberts- Llanrhaiadr

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed in Denbighshire// Please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 July 06 05:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob

I sympathise - I had a similar problem with a Robert Jones and a Margaret Jones. In the end I usd the Dafydd Hayes Marriage index that is available on Genfair

http://www.genfair.com/shop/system/index.html

I think it costs £7. Dafydd will then e-mail you the results. You'll still have to make a decision but it can narrow down the search for you to the most likely couples. Alternatively, the Clwyd Family History Society's Research Centre has the Denbighshire coverage. Someone on here may be able to do a look up for you.

Also look at other births to the couple in the same area. Naming conventions  might help.  What did Robert Jones do. His occupational status is likely to give you an indication of his father's work status. Things didn't change that much in those days in that area. And they wouldn't generally have moved too far.  Have you considered patronymics as well? I think it might be a question of going through the possibles and trying to eliminate rather than prove a connection.

Unfortunately for me, my Margaret Jones was the daughter of, you've guessed, Robert Jones and Margaret  Jones :(

Gadget :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***