Author Topic: Grandads WW1 History. Help needed.  (Read 2927 times)

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Grandads WW1 History. Help needed.
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 15:28 BST (UK) »

Kew are searching and sending service papers out??? 

when did this start Elizabeth?

Offline dudjac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi All.

It is very good of you all  to show interest and to take time to reply to my somewhat vague request.

Susan..... See what you mean, but the medal cards only give the persons name...no dob or anything else ( I believe I am right) so any card could be him.

Dud :-\
Jacobs- Dorset
Parsons- Wiltshire.
Masons- Farnham Surrey
Johns-  Soho London

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 16:29 BST (UK) »

service records would be good...if they survived

have you thought about checking the absent voters list?

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 16:40 BST (UK) »
I may have misled you I wrote to Kew to find out about my grandfather as he was in the was 1916 when the last baby was born shown on the birth certificate also he had served as a young man in the Coldstream guards before he was married
Kew got back to me to tell me they had no records of him and advised me to get onto The Coldstream Guards at London ,Like you I had nothing on paper only photos and I knew  the buttons on his jacket were those of the guards
i have an e-mail for the barracks at Aldershot but would have to look it out this is also an idea
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline dudjac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 16:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth.

My grandfather joined up whilst living in Camberley, Surrey. I suppose it would be possible for him to have reported for duty at Aldershot barracks as this is only 6 miles away.

I will write to Kew.  You never know your luck.

Thanks Dud.
Jacobs- Dorset
Parsons- Wiltshire.
Masons- Farnham Surrey
Johns-  Soho London

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 17:11 BST (UK) »
Have just logged into google

ask jeeves

Aldershot Barracks

have a look you may pick up a mail you can get in contact with

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 23:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
Aldershot Bks, Aldershot is an area the British Army have been at from the 1850s, as for Aldershot Bks i have never herd of this. as for the Coldstrem Guards, any records are here "Guards Museum Wellington Barracks, Birdcage Walk, London SW1E 6HQ. Tel 020 74143271" Cheers