Author Topic: Chorlton on Medlock  (Read 4272 times)

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
Chorlton on Medlock
« on: Wednesday 26 July 06 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have many distant cousins who lived in Chorlton Cum Medlock in the late 1800's, but looking on present day maps the name seems to have dissapperred.  Then I got a 1961 issue ordnance survey map and found it at last, on the A34 about 2 miles south of Manchester.  The actual name on the map crosses the A34 between the University (north) and the Infirmary (south).

Just for my own interest and edification (!) can anyone tell me what has become of Chorlton-cum-Medlock, and why the name has changed or disappeared??

Many thanks,
Garry Brookes
Cheshire - Breatherd, Habberley, Haddock, Hancock, Hunt, Johnson, Perry, Porter, Rathbone, Senior, Thomason, Warburton, Wilkinson, Wilson, Williams

Lancashire - Forsyth, Haddock, Hanlon

Shropshire & Montgomeryshire - Bore, Davies, Foulkes, Gittins, Habberley, Jones, Lewis, Meyrick, Peel, Reynolds

Staffordshire - Habberley, Mills, Billings, Breeze

Offline Lambendsor (aka IGS)

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Chorlton Cum Medlock
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 July 06 16:54 BST (UK) »
Try Googling the phrase "Chorlton on Medlock" - you'll get a lot of good links - far more than by Googling "Chorlton cum Medlock" or even "Chorlton upon Medlock".
ENDSOR: Tamworth/Manchester
LAMB: Leeds/Manchester
SMITH: Manchester
HOLMES: Kirk Ireton/Manchester
WORTHINGTON: Middleton/Manchester
SHORROCK: Manchester
BROOKS: Wilmslow/Knutsford
By marriage in Manchester: BAXENDALE, DODD, EYERS, FIRTH, FISHER, FO(R)STER, HARGREAVES, J(A/E)RVIS, McKEOWN, OSBALDESTON, PICKWELL, PODMORE, SCHOFIELD, SHALLCROSS, STONES, WALKER
GREY, DOYLE, GOLDEN, MONAHAN: Ireland
HAWE, FRENEY, NARY: Co. Kilkenny
DONOHO and variants: Co. Longford

Offline Andy001

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 06 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Garry,Chorlton on Medlock used to stretch from where Oxford Street finished down to Hathersage Road (I think this used to be called High Street) along Oxford Road.And about 1/2 a mile either side. People only seem to call the patch near  the Mancunian Way C-O-M now.
Check out the Alan Godfrey maps they are really helpful ( Google it,theres a website where you can order maps),and if you have any street names,check Manchester Central Library image collection on their website,it has about 70,000 old photos:

http://www.images.manchester.gov.uk/

Andrea
West Midlands;Manchester;Halifax;Wadsworth;<br />Denholme;Aberdeen;Leeds;Oxford;Ludgershall;Bletchingdon<br /><br />Watson,Pollitt,Briggs,Purcell,Byron,Clancy,McNulty,Hartley,Spencer,Whyte,Worth,Mills,Cripps,Howson,Wright

Offline The Engineer

• RootsChat Member
  • That's me - 1963......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 July 06 20:35 BST (UK) »
Hi both!!

Thank you for your very useful replies.  Taking your advice I have found that Chorlton-on-Medlock was "absorbed" into the City of Manchester and have now been able to see the area which it covered.  Interestingly, the old town hall still exists - rather grand! - albeit with an alternative use.

Thanks for the advice, it helps to paint a better picture of where these relatives lived and worked.

Best Wishes,
Garry Brookes
Cheshire - Breatherd, Habberley, Haddock, Hancock, Hunt, Johnson, Perry, Porter, Rathbone, Senior, Thomason, Warburton, Wilkinson, Wilson, Williams

Lancashire - Forsyth, Haddock, Hanlon

Shropshire & Montgomeryshire - Bore, Davies, Foulkes, Gittins, Habberley, Jones, Lewis, Meyrick, Peel, Reynolds

Staffordshire - Habberley, Mills, Billings, Breeze

Offline lostnconfused

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 December 06 13:18 GMT (UK) »
Engineer,

AS a Manc Lad myself i must admit to be confused as a kid with the Chorlton name.

There are 2 distinct Chorltons, neither of which is actually called Chorlton Cum Medlock!

One is Chorlton on Medlock the other is Chorlton Cum Hardy

http://www.chorlton.co.uk/Old%20Chorlton/Photographs/Cover.html

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/ChorltononMedlock/

Incidentally my own family has a very strong connection to Chorlton through Birth, Marriages and indeed Deaths.

Good luck.
Morris - Lydbrook and Manchester
Kell - North East
Davis - Manchester
Fleming - North East and Scotland
Beech - North East England
Burrell - North East and new south wales Australia
Bevan - North East England and Wales
Barnes -North West England
Monaghan-north east England and Ireland
Waugh-North East England
Hayes-Manchester
Garvey-Manchester
Lythgoe-Manchester
Need help in finding a Annie Barnes don't know her exact date of birth as it is incorrect on death cert. NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 January 07 20:39 GMT (UK) »
Garry

sometimes I go to Chorlton cum Hardy to visit some one. let me know if  can help.

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.