Author Topic: Cork Hall - Newtown Linford  (Read 4675 times)

Offline wwykes24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Never say Never
    • View Profile
Cork Hall - Newtown Linford
« on: Wednesday 26 July 06 16:44 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on Cork Hall in Newtown Linford?  My 3 x great grandfather (James Smith) was a gamekeeper there at the time of the 1851 Census.  Any information much appreciated.

Wendy
Atkinson, Bailess, Bills, Brecknell, Goadby, Hill, Horspool, Johnson, Jones, Riggs, Sanders, Smith, Tizzard

Offline paulandberyl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cork Hall - Newtown Linford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 January 07 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Wendy

Did you ever get any info for Cork Hall? My greatgranfather was a gamekeeper for Cork Hall in 1908 when my grandmother was born. I have found some info that might be of help but I am not sure what you have.

Thanks

paul
Ludkin, Chick, Russell, Holmes

Offline wwykes24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Never say Never
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 January 07 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul, as yet I have not got any information on Cork Hall and would be grateful for any that you might have.  Is it still standing or has it been demolished?  I found a map of the area but only found Cork Farm. 

Thanks

Wendy
Atkinson, Bailess, Bills, Brecknell, Goadby, Hill, Horspool, Johnson, Jones, Riggs, Sanders, Smith, Tizzard

Offline paulandberyl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 January 07 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy

I don't have much but here it is -
From Clive Chandler - Senior Archives Asst at Leicestershire Records Office:
'Cork Hall was a smallholding and was part of the Bradgate estate in Leicestershire. It appears on the ordnance survey maps of 1884, 1903, 1929 and 1956; on the 1976 map of the area the buildings have gone, but there appears a Cork Hall farm two fields higher up from the original smallholding.

According to some other info I had but cannot find it is no longer there.
Do you live near the area at all? I live some 150 miles away but as I used to live not to far from there I know the area a little. I am planning to go there in February. I am wondering if the records office at Wigston will have the employee records for Cork Hall? I will try to find out when I go.

If you do get any other info or live nearby would you please let me know.

Regards
Paul
Ludkin, Chick, Russell, Holmes

Offline wwykes24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Never say Never
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 January 07 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Paul,

Many thanks for the information, greatly received.  Yes I live quite close to Newtown Linford - about 20 or so miles away.   I also wondered if the Records Office would have any information concerning the employees of Cork Hall.  I will try to get time off work during March so I can visit the Records Office again and see what I can find out.  What family name are you researching?  My family was still living in Newtown Linford at the time your grandmother was born - James Smith's daugher, Sarah, had married into the Goadby family and her husband, William, was the blacksmith in Newtown Linford, as had been his father before him.  Sarah remarried after William died, to a John Bland.  My great grandfather also named William was an agricultural labourer in the area, but as yet I have not found out where he was actually employed.   My grandmother (born in 1904, Newtown Linford) was in service on one of the farms in the area before she married.  After her marriage she moved to Ibstock.  Many of my relatives are buried in the church yard at Newtown Linford.  Keep in touch,

Best wishes
Wendy

Offline Mike from Leicester

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • " THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. SOMEWHERE"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 January 07 18:47 GMT (UK) »
Greeting’s Again…… Wendy

Cork Hall ?

If you take the public foot path to the south out of Newtown Linford
This starts on the main road in Newtown Linford just a little way back towards Leicester
at the De-sriction sign between two houses No 400.
( Not the foot path at the side of the Nursery )

The path slowly climbs up hill you will pass a building on your left Cork Farm Sheds
Carry on the foot path which goes to your left after this building

Crossing two fields.
Again the path now bears to your left at a hedge row
At the corner of these three fields is were Cork Hall was.
The ground becomes rough here this is the site of Cork Hall
There is not evidence of it now although.

This foot Path was an " Old Drover’s" way into Leicester
Using the Pack horse bridge in Anstey then crosses the Old dear Park at Gynsill Lane 
and continues along a green lane cutting through Gilroes Cemetery  and comes out on the Anstey Lane at the side of the Martyrs School.

MIKE.   

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Researching :-

Isle of Wight.          Oxfordshire / Warwickshire.

Cassell.                   Powers. 
Draper.                   Hirons.
Combs.                   Botts.
Stallard.                 Hall.

Offline wwykes24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Never say Never
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 27 January 07 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike, many thanks again for your very helpful information.  Next time I am in Newtown Linford on a nice day I shall follow your directions to the old site of Cork Hall.  Now all as I need to find are some old photographs (if any were ever taken) of the Hall.  Also I shall try to find who owned it (or leased it) at the time James Smith was there and when Paul's ancestors were there.   I wonder if Paul's ancestors possibly lived in the same gamekeeper's cottage (I am assuming that the Farm had a gamekeeper's cottage) as mine did!  Most interesting.

Best wishes
Wendy

Offline Mike from Leicester

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • " THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE. SOMEWHERE"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 January 07 19:33 GMT (UK) »
Your very Welcome Wendy "

Just wrap up warm & strong shoes / boots are required
your walking along a hill top very windy

In the meantime I'll ask next week at the Records Office for you.

Your James (39) on 1851 census :-
HO 107. / 2087. / 452. / Page 7.

MIKE.
Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Researching :-

Isle of Wight.          Oxfordshire / Warwickshire.

Cassell.                   Powers. 
Draper.                   Hirons.
Combs.                   Botts.
Stallard.                 Hall.

Offline wwykes24

• RootsChat Senior
  • Never say Never
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 January 07 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Mike, you are such an angel, thanks again for all your help.  Look forward to next week with anticipation.  Take care

Best wishes
Wendy