Author Topic: Help!I'm getting a new computer.  (Read 815 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Help!I'm getting a new computer.
« on: Thursday 27 July 06 23:09 BST (UK) »
As certain listers will know,I am not the most technically gifted with Computers etc!I am in the process of buying a new computer,and quite obviously I am wishing to copy certain files etc,from this one I have now.Whilst the new computer should be arriving within a fortnight,I have not got too much time left,and would very much welcome advice.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help!I'm getting a new computer.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 July 06 23:41 BST (UK) »
Are you keeping the old PC to be able to run two at the same time?

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 July 06 23:52 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply Al,and I am giving the old one to a cousin of mine.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 July 06 00:01 BST (UK) »
That has partly simplified what you want to do, then.

I will try to give you what I think your safest / easiest route is....bearing in mind what you said about being technical.

I take it you have CD or DVD facility on your PCs?

I assume you have used these facilities?

Do you want to keep / copy all your files or just some?

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 July 06 00:11 BST (UK) »
I am only interested in copying some of the files.I do have an external DVD re-writer,which I am having great difficulty getting to grips with!

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 July 06 00:33 BST (UK) »
William, I haven't used an external DVD RW but I guess it must operate on the same basis as the ones I have fitted to my PC.

I assume that you have appropriate software for this DVD RW ie Sonic or Nero?

You may be having trouble because you can't use the Windows XP program for DVDs only CDs....if you want to explain your difficulties, I will try to assist.

I am suggesting you copy your files to disc, because if you have trouble with your new PC for any reason, and you have given the other one away ( I assume you may 'wipe' your files from it) you will be stuffed without a back up ie a disc.

I think you should select the files you want to keep copy them all into a single large folder (or two or three large folders), make a note of the folder / file size when you have done this to make sure  they don't exceed the capacity of a DVD.

You can usually check the folder size by hovering the mouse cursor on it, but to be sure you can 'right click' it and then click 'Properties'.

If you exceed the disc capacity you will have to juggle your files around or make another folder to reduce the sizes.

If we can get your DVD RW to successfully copy to disc, then you have won....
all you will need to do with the new PC, once you have it up and running, is to load the DVD, copy it to an appropriate folder and then redistribute your files accordingly.

Keeping programs is another issue....any of these to be kept?

I will be going off in a while, so if you haven't replied or understood etc etc, I'll pick up in the morning or you can send me a PM and carry on by email. Up to you.

Al.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 July 06 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi wrjones

Having recently upgraded to another computer I know from experience there are a lot of complicated issues surrounding the migration of data to a new PC.  It is all very well copying data to CDs or DVDs but will you be able to open them on your new computer?  The main problem is Windows Registry.  It needs to contain all the information from your old computer about how to open and run programs/files.  For that to work properly you need to to reinstall most of your old programs on the new PC.

Make a list of programs that you have on your old PC and make sure you have the software for those programs.

Another way of transferring data to a new hard drive is to add your old hard drive to your new PC as a secondary slave that way you can simply copy certain files to the new hard drive without all the palaver of having to record anything to CD or DVD.  It does entail a little work:

* Remove the case
* attach a cable and power supply
* select or deselect a jumper on the old hard drive.

If you are not PC savvy then it might seem a little daunting but it is relatively easy to accomplish.  If you have a a very large new hard drive you might want to copy everything to a partition on the new hard drive.

The actual amount of user data on you old PC may not be quite as large as you imagine unless you have loads of photographs and music. files  If you have Office style documents (Word, Excel, Powerpoint and Access) the acual data is relatively small, unless you are a power user.

Good luck

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 July 06 12:48 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply,and the excellent advice which I will certainly take on board.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire