Author Topic: Thomas Donaldson  (Read 3250 times)

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Donaldson
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 July 06 23:54 BST (UK) »
Archibald Donaldson Clazey was born, 17 Fulwell Road, Sunderland.  1902.  His brother, Oswald was born in 1900.  Oswald Clazey and Mary Donaldson married September 5, 1899.  It would seem to have been a marriage that was necessary as the Oswald Clazey was born in February 1900.

They arrived in the US in 1910.  Oswald sailed in May 1910 and Mary and the two boys arrived in October.  Oswald's father was James Oswald Clazey who was born in the US but returned to England where he became a schoolmaster. James' father, George Oswald Clazey had immigrated in 1841.  His two brothers remained in England along with his mother, Isabella.  George died in Mt. Carmel, Putnam County New York.

James had a sister, Isabella Oswald Clazey who married a Lane...and they lived in Brooklyn, NY.  Their address is the one Oswald used as his destination in the Ellis Island Records.

Before I forget...Mary's sister, Joannah married a Philiskirk and I heard once from him for details so he could add Mary's details to their family tree.

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 July 06 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

I managed to view few censuses on various family members in US censuses. So far, your story is checked out...

It turned out your Archibald is not even naturalised at the time of 1930 census. He could have been naturalised sometime after that--1940 Census will probably answer this question.

Or he thought he did not have to be naturalised because his father is an American based on the fact that his grandfather was born in New York.

It is interesting to note that someone "corrected" the record by saying that his surname should be Clagg, not Clazey or Clazy on one census.

We would have to wait until 2012 for it to be released to the public.

I will certainly look up on Mary's death record for you.

Kind regards

Tees

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 31 July 06 03:07 BST (UK) »
I had checked with the Department of Justice, Naturalizations and they could not find a record of Archibald becoming a citizen.  His father did...Oswald Clazey and there was one very interesting item sent to me with the Justice Department files on him...it seems someone tried to either reach him or had asked for a duplicate document in 1975.  Of course, the address was completely wrong and the comment sent back by the post office was that the man would be 100 years old!

The spellings are all over the place...for Clazey...I found the original George Oswald Clazey in burial records listed as Glazey...

Thank you so much for all you are doing...

Sharon
Tough, Keith, Kerr, Donaldson, Clazey, Stephenson, Jardine, Spry, Jewell. Oswald, Middlemiss, Harper, Carter, Hutchinson, Scott, Lamb.

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 31 July 06 04:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

That is great you have Oswald's naturalisation paper.

You certainly have an interesting angle on someone's request for his son's naturalisation paper and the address was wrong/old.

Sorry about no further information on Archibald's status as a citizen or not. Hopefully the 1940 census will tell us a bit of story.

Kind regards

Tees

Offline Tees

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 31 July 06 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

I have sent you PMs.

Regards

Tees

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 31 July 06 09:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information on Archibald.  And let me know what you would need for the certified copy of Mary's death certificate. The reason the naturalization papers for Oswald lead me to an odd angle...there is or was a child...Claude (either C or O) Clazey born in August of 1921 I think...he was eventually adopted.  And there is still a dispute as to who the father was...and no one is talking.  I tried to get his birth certificate from Monroe County, New York but they refused to give it to me and I raised cain in the building!  The record was over the number years required by law.  So...that told me that the birth certificate was there and it probably would have answered the question as to which of the two brothers, Archibald or Oswald was the father. I wondered if it could have been Claude trying to track down his birth family.  Now...another angle, possibly...and I only came to this after speaking to one Clazey in england...he swore that there was no connections between his line and mine because he had checked!  My grandfather, Arch, always wondered what happened with the Clazey money and jokingly said that all their ships must have sunk during World War II.  Somewhere in those odd documents there, is a story...I'll probably never know. Arch told me once too that there was another brother...on the free bmd uk I have found a couple of possibilities and both died as infants.

Sharon

Offline clazey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 31 December 06 10:58 GMT (UK) »
The marriage certificate for Thomas Donaldson and Joannah Harper arrived and Thomas' father's name was...Thomas and his occupation looks like Engineman. Joannah's father is Archbold Harper, Joiner. Witnesses were James and Eleanor Harper and both made their "marks"...In the 1861 Census, Joannah's family is living with her and Thomas. The marriage took place August 7, 1853 at the Parish Church, Parish of Sunderland.  Which Church would that be?

Thomas' Donaldson's address at the time of the marriage looks like, Coronation Street, no number?  I did find in Free Cen an 1861 Census Record for a Thomas Donaldson, Engine Driver, wife Elizabeth, son William 21 and a ship carpenter but do not know if this is the right Donaldson.  I did not find one for 1851. Does someone have access to that Census?

I want to thank everyone for all their help... This line has been virtually unknown by anyone in the family so I am truly bumbling in the dark at times! I have located Mary Ann Donaldson's brother, Archibald Harper Donaldson and he is buried in Ft. Rosecrans National Cemetery in California so I know where he and his family "disappeared" to! He died in 1967.  I may have found his wife as well as there is one who fits who died in 1984.
Happy New Year...

Sharon