Author Topic: Hen Gapel (Tabernacle), Maenclochog  (Read 2209 times)

Offline rugbywolf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hen Gapel (Tabernacle), Maenclochog
« on: Friday 28 July 06 20:17 BST (UK) »
just curious if anybody knows any early history a i believe an ancester ran a school out of here 1797 - 1850's.
chris

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Re: Hen Gapel (Tabernacle), Maenclochog
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 July 06 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Have you found your ancestor in the 1841 and 1851 census?  That should tell you his occupation.  I could see no school teachers listed in the 1841 census for Maenclochog, but I just took a really quick look.  What is his name and dob/place of birth?  Maybe someone can find him for you...

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline rugbywolf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 July 06 22:08 BST (UK) »
hi mjp,
have him in both census's living pen banc henry's moat,occupation schoolmaster and small farm,didnt know where the school was until viewing the online pages of the blue book which is on the national library of wales site .dont know where he was born except pembrokeshire as in 1851 he states british citizen for place of birth .
blue book has evans's school set up 1797 in a chapel in the 1847  survey ,ref independent so presume it is based at an independent chapel and the above one matches the date.

quite amazed to find an previous generation mentioned in an official report so curious about the back ground.
many thanks
chris

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 July 06 22:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Oh, intriguing.  Sorry I can't help you anymore - I just have access to the census records and know nothing of the local area.   :-\

Good luck!

MJP
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline rugbywolf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 July 06 07:41 BST (UK) »
hi mjp,
no worries,thanks for the thought,trying to find the baptism of his grandson john whose parents were married in henry's moat parich church but couldnt find any baptisms now suspect they may have been baptised in this chapel instead but dont know enough to be sure yet.
will have to take a trip over their at some point ,just a fair whack from warwickshire .
chris

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 July 06 14:26 BST (UK) »
the Genuki page for Maenclochog mentions 2 chapel histories - one of the Tabernacle 1845-1945ish and the other of Horeb 1835 - 1985. They're both in Welsh and I doubt they're still in print. It might be worth trying the National Library of Wales site. There was another query on the Wales board recently about NLW inquiries and the email address, but not sure where it is.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb