Author Topic: 2nd request for martha hartley / ellis/new update  (Read 2907 times)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
2nd request for martha hartley / ellis/new update
« on: Sunday 30 July 06 10:50 BST (UK) »
hi this is my 2nd time (*) of asking for my grandmothers parents,but i warn you its very complicated..any advice on how to research would be very much appreciated.....martha hartley born abt 1900 in manchester...married my grandfather reginald percival anson.in liverpool...(.he was born reginald percival roberts in welshpool)...martha married percy using the name martha ellis...so...martha ellis married percy anson....when in reality martha hartley married reginald percival roberts.....can`t find a reason why they would both change their names,i presume legally,because these are the names on marriage cert..ellis and anson ..my mums older sister is still alive at 83 and has info regarding her mums(marthas)maiden name and being born in manchester...i`ve tried and tried ,but can`t find marthas birth or parents....my other 3 grandparents i`ve gone back to mid 1700`s with....total brickwall with my grandmother on mums side...any advice anyone???regards...allan.

(*) Moderator Comment:
If anybody can help, then please check out this topic as well, to avoid duplication of efforts. Thanks :)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,167084.0.html
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd request for martha hartley / ellis
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 July 06 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan,
just read your other post- did you ever get the mariage certificate which would show the father's name (if there was a dad around)
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 July 06 11:23 BST (UK) »
hi heywood...unfortunately no...stuck...allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 July 06 11:35 BST (UK) »
send for it- it will give you address/ father's details and occupation hopefully. I think you definitely need it.
What info does your aunt have? Why does she say Manchester? Does she have any other family names - e.g aunts/uncles who would be her mother's siblings.
Sorry to bombard you with these but they are essential if you want to get back to 1700s with this one too.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 July 06 11:48 BST (UK) »
thanks heywood....at 83 my aunts very secretive...all she says is "oh its all very complicated,and we never got down to all the facts,etc"..i think she knows but won`t say...if you read the other postings you`ll see where someone has posted the only martha ann hartley born 1903. in manchester ..which would make her 14 when she married...if this is the case,maybe thats why they changed their names..my grandad would have been 18 ,my granny 14....maybe ellis was her mothers maiden name...but this is all supposition...i`ll have to get the marriage certificate...regards...allan

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 July 06 11:50 BST (UK) »
I understand - we had something similar which did not get out until after my mother's death - families!

Can't make out if you have Reginald's details or not but in 1901 he is staying with his mother Martha (another one!) - she is a sister in law in the home of William H Williams, Astley Shropshire. She is stated to be married and has Reginald with her. William is stated to be married and has 2 children but wife not there. The children are young so she could have been caring for them whilst her sister was hospitalized or something.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 July 06 12:10 BST (UK) »
thanks heywood...william married minnie..marthas sister...reginalds mother martha died aged 96 when i was 8...she was born in astley in 1863....making her 37 when she had reginald....maybe she was actually his nan and brought him up as her son...don`t know..regards...allan

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 July 06 12:24 BST (UK) »
ok guys would love to help but got lost half way through  ;D
if you can say exactley what it is you are looking for then i will see what i can do?
if you start from the biggining we might be able to help
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 July 06 14:43 BST (UK) »
thanks ali....my grandparents percy anson married martha ellis in liverpool in 1917....my grandfather was born reginald percival roberts in welshpool 1900....my grandmother martha ann hartley was born abt 1900 in manchester.....why did reginald percival roberts become percy anson....why did martha ann hartley become martha ann ellis...the only martha ann hartley we can find born in manchester was born 1903...that would make her 14 when she married and percy 18...cannot find martha anywhere other than wedding to percy....i have percy`s family back to 1750`s on mother and fathers side back to1806....can`t find anything on martha ann hartley....she had 10 children...and 1 of them irene is 83 and told me she was born martha ann hartley in manchester 1900....complicated isn`t it..hence my 2nd time of asking...kind regards...allan