Author Topic: Harland Surname Research  (Read 6547 times)

Offline Harland

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harland Surname Research
« on: Sunday 30 July 06 12:54 BST (UK) »
Harland, All

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Harland Surname Research
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 January 07 01:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello Harland,

A belated welcome to RootsChat.

I'm not quite certain whether to post here or the Co. Armagh thread. I've spotted an interesting article called George and Michael Harlan: "The Irish Interlude" by John H. Harland. These two men, with their older brother Thomas, were born near the City of Durham in the Bishopric (Episcopate) of Durham. They spent fifteen years in Co. Armagh in the north of Ireland before they arrived at a Quaker colony in Delaware in 1687. Thomas remained in Ireland. He had married Katherine Bullock on 7th February 1680 and by 1687 had a large family. Katherine died in 1690. The date of Thomas' death is uncertain. 

Chris

Offline aidansrest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 October 07 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have Harland ancestors from the Lythe area of Yorkshire, any hep?

Sue

Offline Trees

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Can't see the wood for the !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 October 07 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have Worcestershire & Hereford HARTLANDS I am particularly stuck with Mary HARTLAND born about 1791 Broadwas Worc.married Edward HODGES 1813 Doddenham Worc. Had 9 ch in doddenham Whitbourn Her. and Clains Worc she died 1869 in Claines If you come across her I'd love to hear from you
2nd interest the descendants of Thomas HARTLAND and Mary nee LAURENCE of Cradley Her. I have 4 generations down from them as one grand son had children in Broadwas so I hoped they would lead to the above Mary as it happened a Gt grand daughter married  a William ROSTINS in Ombersley in 1856 and he was also on my tree Again if these are interesting let me know
Trees

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

For details of my research interests please see
mcmullin.me.uk
Also read the children a story from Story Time at the same web site.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 October 07 11:55 GMT (UK) »
J wonder if there was a name change at one time when Harland crossed from Britain to Ireland.

The following are listed in the 1796 Spinning Wheel Census (Flax Grower's List).

John Harlin, Termonfeckin. Louth
Patrick Harlin, Termonfeckin. Louth
Patrick Harlin Jr., Clonmore. Louth
Patrick Harlin, Clonmore. Louth
Neal Harlon, Moville Upper. Donegal

Click here to see a picture of Sir Edward James Harland who was well known in Belfast business circles as a partner in Harland and Wolff, the well known shipbuilders. There's an article about Sir Edward on encyclopedia-titanica.org His father was a Scarborough doctor who was a graduate of Edinburgh University. On Wednesday 25th December 1895 The Times published Sir Edward's obituary

The 1912 Ulster Covenant was signed by fifty six people bearing the Harland surname.

Henry Harland, a nephew of Sir Edward Harland, married the widow of Thomas Andrews, the designer of the Titanic, who was a member of the Andrews family of Comber, Co. Down.

Some people may wonder about the aircraft manufacturers, Short and Harland. Short Bros were an English company who established a base in Belfast in 1936. A new company was established by the Air Ministry with 50% each owned by Harland and Wolff and Shorts. That company was called Short & Harland Ltd.

Christopher

Offline O1dgobbo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 December 07 19:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harland

My Harlands start with a labourer Henry, born in Lumley, Durham, about 1794.  He migrated in a southerly direction, marrying an Isabella Gibson in Stranton.  The 1841 census finds him in Dalton-le-dale but subsequently he moved on to Escomb (1851 census).  He had a large family (Henry, Thomas, Benjamin, Sarah, Willliam, Isabella, Andrew and Elizabeth) and most of the sons were drivers of stationary engines.  William, one of these engine drivers, became a publican some time between 1871 and 1881 and seems to have controlled several public houses in the North Riding before his death, in Redcar, in 1892.  The family dispersed after his death but his son Alfred, also a stationary engine driver remained in the North Riding (Middlesbrough and Redcar).

Good luck

Gobbo
Aberdeenshire - Chalmers, Crocker, Dalrymple, Kelman
Fife - Co?per, Dun, Jackson
NE England - Harland, Hasted, Heaviside, Longridge, Thompson
SE England - Drawbridge, Hall, Hayward, Howard, Newell, Seward, Slade, Smith

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 December 13 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harland

, one of these engine drivers, became a publican some time between 1871 and 1881 and seems to have controlled several public houses in the North Riding before his death, in Redcar, in 1892.

Hello - only 6 years late to this post - I am descended from this William Harland and his wife Margaret LONGRIDGE. William died after falling down the stairs of his own (final) pub, the Royal Hotel in Loftus, Yorks.

Regards, Paul

Offline O1dgobbo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 December 13 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cousin Paul
It was great to hear from you and be in touch with a long lost cousin. I knew Redcar as a child but have lived in the South most of my life and have a job sorting out the local names, Coatham, Saltburn, Marske and Loftus. I have checked his death certificate and Gt Grandfather is recorded as falling in the Royal Hotel, Redcar. This was nearer Coatham than Loftus.
All the best
Gobbo
Aberdeenshire - Chalmers, Crocker, Dalrymple, Kelman
Fife - Co?per, Dun, Jackson
NE England - Harland, Hasted, Heaviside, Longridge, Thompson
SE England - Drawbridge, Hall, Hayward, Howard, Newell, Seward, Slade, Smith

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 December 13 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gobbo - I've dropped you a line. I have the newspaper article of William Harland's death (which you may already have). The newspaper must have confused the Royal Hotel in Redcar with one of the same name down the road in Loftus.

Cheers,

Paul