Author Topic: Mansfield Libary Lookup If Possible  (Read 1583 times)

Offline Jason Ridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy Newbie !
    • View Profile
Mansfield Libary Lookup If Possible
« on: Monday 31 July 06 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi all..

I am looking for some info on CHARLES PLUMB he was born 1813 in Edingley, Notts..

He became Postmaster of Mansfield in 1863 and brought out a small publication called the Midland Gazette, he had his own post office and wrote a small autobiography of his life and works..

I would like if possible some images, photocopys of the Newspaper The Midland Gazette, i beleive copys are held in Mansfield Libary. Maybe something with his name on too if possible..

If someone could help with this this would be amazing, as im unable to get to Mansfield at present....

(he is part of the Plumb Family of Lambley Fame in Notts, he is my second cousin, six times removed !)

Many thanks,

Jason :)
Thankyou Please !

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mansfield Libary Lookup If Possible
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 August 06 21:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Jason,

Re your look-up request, I don’t think Mansfield Library may be your best bet?
the reason I say this is because Charles Plumbe lived most of his life in Sutton in Ashfield.
He can be found on the 1841, 1851, 1861, 1881, 1891 in Sutton in Ashfield, the exception being the 1871 census where he is in Mansfield, and as you say is Postmaster, his wife Elizabeth (nee Alvey) is still living in Sutton in Ashfield.
The first postmaster in Sutton in Ashfield was Charles Plumbe appointed 1837 until 1863,
maybe that is why he is found on the 1871 census in Mansfield? He is with two of his unmarried daughters, with what I think says “Certificated Telegraphist” as their occupation, perhaps someone might have a look for you to see what they think it says?  1871 RG10/3474/37

On the 1891 census he is aged 77, a retired printer and for the first time stating on a census that he is Registrar of Births and Deaths, he was appointed in March 1848 until April 1897.

He was the first to publish a Newspaper in Sutton in Ashfield called the “Sherwood Gatherer” in 1844 which was superseded by the “Midland Gazette” in 1846.

I already had some directory pages which mention Charles Plumbe which you are welcome to, but can also be found here  http://www.historicaldirectories.org

I think Sutton in Ashfield library is being refurbished so might be closed for a couple of weeks but if I pass any time soon I will ask if they have anything useful.

Good Luck

Sheila.

Offline Jason Ridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy Newbie !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 August 06 22:08 BST (UK) »
Superb info thanks, got all the census sheets with all that info on, but didnt get the 1891 so will look for that now, many thanx xxx

Jason  ;) :D ;D
Thankyou Please !

Offline Jason Ridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy Newbie !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 August 06 22:16 BST (UK) »
P.S

Is there any way of saving the documents ?
Thankyou Please !

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 August 06 22:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Jason

Which ones? Historical Directories?
yes, you can save individual pages but not the whole directory
.....well you can if you want, but it would have to be 1 page at a time ;)

Sheila.

Offline Jason Ridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy Newbie !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 August 06 22:27 BST (UK) »
ive tried to save the pages with him on, but it saves as a .exe file and wont let me open it on my comp... help !

LOL

Jay  :D
Thankyou Please !

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 August 06 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jason,

Good, you have found him....sorry if you already know this...but sometimes when searching it is a good idea to try, eg Charles Plumbe and try reversing the name Plumbe Charles.
When you have the page you want (I sometimes zoom in on the image first to make it bigger)
Then "right click" and "save picture as" and name & save to where you can find it  ;D

Sheila.

Offline Jason Ridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Genealogy Newbie !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 August 06 15:01 BST (UK) »
many thanks for all the help, loads of info !

;D ;D ;D ;D

Jay x
Thankyou Please !