Author Topic: William King Fortt  (Read 2257 times)

Offline helenna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
William King Fortt
« on: Monday 31 July 06 10:25 BST (UK) »

Looking for descendants of William King Fortt.
b.1832 London Middx. married Emma ? in Bath, 1881 census shows family living @
41, Lower Dover Street
Walcot
Bath.

Appreciate any info

Helenna

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William King Fortt
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 August 06 17:54 BST (UK) »
This looks like the marriage, with William's surname mis-spelled:

Marriages Sep 1853
FORD    William King       
HASLETT    Emma   
E London 1c 47       

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline helenna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 August 06 11:25 BST (UK) »

Many thanks Manchester Rambler for that information. its a start.

Helenna

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 August 06 22:48 BST (UK) »
Not so sure about that marriage now: if you look on Bath BMD http://www.bathbmd.org.uk/ you'll find the births of William and Emma's children with her maiden name given as BRISTOW...  ???

Perhaps it was a second marriage for her?  I can't see anything else that fits at the moment.

Do you need census info for other years?

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Offline helenna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 August 06 14:15 BST (UK) »
thanks for further info, and it makes more sense. what I and others are trying to do is do lateral thinking on our research for Henry Montagu. He married Gertrude K Fortt  (william King Fortts daughter)in 1891, and as we are at a dead end as far as finding details of HGMs parents etc , we thought that if we could perhaps find relations of WKF they might have details of wedding and guests etc. maybe photo's!!!!!!! A long shot I guess, but will try anything.
Much appreciate your help.
Helenna

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 August 06 15:51 BST (UK) »
Do you have a wedding cert for Henry Grahame Montagu and Gertrude?  That will show his father's name.

It's a shame they married after the 1891 census, and Gertrude died before the 1901 census, but I would have thought the Henry Grahame Montagu(e) born in Bath in 1862, son of Henry Grahame Montagu(e) and Louisa Maria Bennett, was a strong possibility.  (Free BMD has him as MONTAQUE, but Bath BMD has MONTAGUE).

Rambler

Offline helenna

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 August 06 12:02 BST (UK) »
Once again thanks for your interest and help.
Actually have detailed information re Henry G Montagu from the age of 15. Also he puts his fathers name as Charles. So  in spite of myself and a miriad of other members of this vast family researching him, none of us are able to find his birth details or even of his parents. Which I would dearly love to find.
Another line of enquiry, would be to have a look at the 1841 census for Bath and see if he is there as a small child of approx 2 - 4 . 
That would be so helpful.

Helenna

Offline Jason Jase

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 May 22 20:54 BST (UK) »

Looking for descendants of William King Fortt.
b.1832 London Middx. married Emma ? in Bath, 1881 census shows family living @
41, Lower Dover Street
Walcot
Bath.

Appreciate any info

Helenna

Really old post I know I am not a decedent of William King Fortt but I am a decedent of his brother James