Author Topic: 1861 census look up BARTLETT / BAKER Portsea  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Woodlander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1861 census look up BARTLETT / BAKER Portsea
« on: Saturday 30 October 04 21:31 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find the whereabouts of Joshua Bartlett and Mary Ann Baker.  Joshua was born abt 1836 and Mary Ann abt 1841 both in Hardington in Somerset.  For some reason they married in Portsea and not Hardington in 1862 and I am wondering why, because they moved back to Hardington for the birth of their first child in 1862.

I would be very grateful for any help you can offer.

Lin

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census look up BARTLETT / BAKER Portsea
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lin,

A belated welcome to RootsChat.

I'm sorry you have had no reply to your posting.  Unfortunately Hampshire is not well served for census information online or on CD until 1871.  So there is no index for 1861 census.  I can't immediately offer an explanation for them marrying in Portsea, unless Joshua was working there, or was in the marines or something?

Hope you eventually find an answer.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryhutchings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Joshua Bartlett and Mary Ann Baker are my great grandparents Mary Ann was born 17 Jun 1842 Hardington Mandeville I have her cert. Joshua sometimes later called himself Joseph - we cant find his birth details and there is a mystery as to who his mother is. His father was John Bartlett and John remarried about the time of Josuas birth First Wife Hannah Wakely seond wife Elizabeth Haggit- Possibility that Hannah died in Joshuas childhood but we cant find any record of her burial- I have Joshua on 1841 census living with grandparents? and 1851 servant at preston plucknett. As to Marriage in Portsea he may have been in the navy. I have the Hardington Mandeville parish records for on fiche but cant answer all questions bot otherwise have details on rest of their lives including photo of house and gravestone

Please get in touch
Kind regards

ps you should be on the somerset board
Barry

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 May 05 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lin and Barry,

1861 Census is now becoming available.  Perhaps someone will be kind enough to do a look-up for you.

Would you like this moved to Somerset?

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk