Author Topic: Denmark  (Read 1052 times)

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
Denmark
« on: Tuesday 01 August 06 18:59 BST (UK) »
Do we have any Danish members ?, my father was stationed there in 1945/50 in the RAF, about 10 years ago i discovered that he left me a step brother whilst there, the only info. i have is a photograph of my father taken in Denmark, on the reverse it is printed :- Hans Hedegaard (foto atelier), Skals, any suggestions on how to trace further details ? bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline bonjedward

• RootsChat Member
  • "It's comin' yet for a' that ... 24 MB at 1.3 Kb/s
    • View Profile
Re: Denmark
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 August 06 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, I live in Denmark, about 20km from Skals, north of Viborg in Jutland.

Unfortunately, if you don't have a name, date, or place of birth, it's going to be difficult. Genealogy in Denmark is, as far as I know, still a matter of looking through the original church records (the State Church still has the job of recording all births).

In a rural area like Skals, in the 1950s, the birth would probably have been at home.
The photographer's business doesn't exist any more (not under that name, at any rate), and I can't imagine any records would have been preserved from it.

There's an English-language section in a Danish genealogical forum, see:

http://dis-danmark.dk/forum/list.php?11

where you could post a question. Good luck!
Researching: Towers family of Paisley; Argyll: Carmichael, McQueen; W. Lothian: Aitken, Smeal, Cunningham, Brash, Easton; Stirlingshire: Bruce, Henderson, Galloway;  Midlothian: Gillis, Philp, Turner; Ayrshire: Robertson, McMurren (also County Down), Bone, Eaglesham, Scoffield, Frew, McLatchie;  Moray: Rennie, Stronach;   Donegal, Derry: Douglas, Wray, Steen;  Bermuda: Outerbridge, Seon

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 August 06 08:30 BST (UK) »
David,
           Thanks for your response, i will try the web you posted and see what happens, will keep you posted.
                                       Thanks bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 August 06 19:30 BST (UK) »
There is a branch of an English family - the Leybourn(e)s to which I am related, that has a Danish branch and I believe there were some international sportsmen of that name representing Denmark.

The reason I mention this name is that there are a lot of people researching the name (landowners in E Yorks, Nafferton) and there are church monuments confirming the line back to the early 1500s. Perhaps a contact with one of the Leybourn researchers might throw up a Danish member?

My next door neighbour is Danish. His name is Peter Petersen, as was his father and his grandfather. All very useful when it comes to genealogy. Am sure I read somewhere that a huge proportion of Danes share a very small number of surnames. I do know that finding an Icelandic link is good, because lineage is very important there.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 August 06 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, David & Nick,
                         have had a response from a posting on the web, nothing concrete, but a location of where the RAF were stationed at the time, i need to get details of my fathers service record before i go much further, I will look up the Leybourne connection, as you say small connections can be a great help.  My surname is Bacon, but i don't think theres a connection to "Danish Bacon"
                                                   bodger