Author Topic: Cornwall to Australia - Richard STEVENS COMPLETED & THANKS  (Read 10431 times)

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cornwall to Australia - Richard STEVENS
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 August 06 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue, Elsie and Jenn. I use that Bendigo Cemeteries site, and isn't it marvellous? I'm 100 miles away in Melbourne and I agree that it would make a lovely outing to go exploring. I am meeting a granddaughter of Richard and Angelina Stevens, who still lives in Bendigo, at an 80th birthday party for another of their granddaughters next month, so I'll be presenting her with the tree, with a request that she go on the hunt.
That information about Matthew's wooden dwelling in Mt.Korong Road was interesting. His parents were still in Mt.Korong Rd in 1920. Jenn, you made me think laterally - I never thought that Ann Stevens might have married a Murton after her husband died. Her son Richard married a Murton. Before that I thought it was maybe just a typo.
Thanks ladies, and no arguing, please. I hope the roast was as good as my home made meat pies. Regards, Irene

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 August 06 11:35 BST (UK) »

Well, I would truly love to walk in those places and search out the special spots.  Envy you.
  My cousin even knows how to do 'rubbings' with crayon and paper over the headstone!
By the way...
Do you do an Ozchook too?  Hard to beat.
Sorry, Just couldn't help myself!!
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 August 06 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hello thereOC

found these

JOHN STEVENS  mariied  NANNY HARRY 1849 2nd qtr penzance cornwall   only  one  I could find  of a stevens marrying a harry

MATTHEW STEVENS  married ELIZABETH MARY  ROBERTS 1873 2nd qtr penzance cornwall

nanny seems to be a popular girls name in cornwall then

regards jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 August 06 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi again, Well, I downloaded an image of Richard Stevens' death certificate, and in brief: as we know he died in 1918, aged 65. He was living at Mt Korong Rd, California Gully, Eaglehawk/Bendigo. The cert stated he had been in Victoria for 42 years, so he arrived in 1876 too, or thereabouts. A big ooooooooh, please. He was married a second time, only three years earlier. Oooooooh, his poor wife.
So, do I put up another post to see if anyone has access to passenger lists CDs?
Sue, I was interested in doing rubbings myself, as we have some convict ancestors' graves in Tasmania that I would have liked to 'rub'. However, on checking the Net for instructions, it seemed it's discouraged these days as often the headstones are damaged, or they are knocked off their plinths. And no, I don't cook chook these days; it's easier to get a barbecued chicken from the supermarket - mine wouldn't taste as good. Jenn, I too found that marriage entry for John and Nanny in 1849. John and Ann's first child was born in 1850, so it fits, but I can only presume it's them.
Thanks again, regards Irene

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 04 August 06 01:42 BST (UK) »
Oops, I meant Matthew Stevens' death certificate - not Richard's, in my last post.
Irene

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 04 August 06 02:05 BST (UK) »
Ozchook,
I did have a look at the passenger lists at my local library. But I will have another look just to make sure I have not missed them.  Sometimes the passenger lists have not survived.
I know what you people are saying I have a husband who only thinks of his food. Don't you hate it when you have to get off the computer to feed them. Just when you have found a good lead.
grrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Sarra

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 04 August 06 03:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarra, Thank you very much for your offer to visit the library to look up passenger lists. That's wonderful. I did read somewhere that assisted passengers were in steerage, and only numbers were collected, not their names. How insulting. I'm only presuming the Stevens' were assisted, them being poor tin miners.
Well, I don't have to leave the computer to feed anyone but myself these days, but I know what you mean. Sometimes I just have to stay away from the computer and rootschat to do 3 day's dishes that have piled up, and other domestic annoyances/interruptions. A common problem with Genies, I think. Perhaps you could teach hubby how to cook!
I must clarify Matthew Stevens' second marriage - this occurred three years before his death.
Regards, Irene

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 04 August 06 03:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Irene,
Per your comment about a possible Ann to Murton marriage -I note as I am sure you have too, there are a number of Murtons in Eaglehawk Cemetery, but an Ann is not apparently among them.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 04 August 06 04:20 BST (UK) »
hello there OC

matthew stevens  married in 1915  reg no 8519

to  ELLEN ANN GREENWOOD

i wll check  the deaths for her  to see if her parents are listed

regards jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au