Author Topic: Cornwall to Australia - Richard STEVENS COMPLETED & THANKS  (Read 10433 times)

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cornwall to Australia - Richard STEVENS
« Reply #27 on: Friday 04 August 06 05:53 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!

Just to let you know the information I posted was from the Eaglehawk and District Pioneer Register.

I have looked up the name MURTON but there is only one entry and it is for a William Henry Murton.

Cheers

Elsie

Offline sarra

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 04 August 06 08:42 BST (UK) »
Ozchook,
No luck with the shipping - indexes don't go far enough. Probably need someone to have a look at the PROV for you. There's always someone visiting there.
My husband lean to cook? he hates  cooking more than I do.
Good luck .
Sarra

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 04 August 06 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
 A small query for Esie or anyone
Was Mary[ the child of Mattew and Elizabeth who married in Cornwall in 1873] born in Australia?
He was a young bridegroom at 20 and there is a couple of years before the first listed birth.
Did they possibly bring children with them?
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline elsie ellen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 04 August 06 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!

I've had a look in my register again and I would suggest that Mary was probably not born in Australia because in the register it states "bc" next to her name. This is the abbr for born circa, according to list of abbrs used in the text. All the other births listed identify a birthplace and specific year. She married a Mr Holland and died in 1949 in Richmond aged 73 years. Her death certificate should answer this mystery for us.

Have any certificates been purchased that might have noted how "many years in the colonies" for any of this family?

Cheers

Elsie

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 06 August 06 06:28 BST (UK) »
Hi again ladies, I had to get away from the computer yesterday, so went to see the lovely Johnny Depp in his latest Pirate movie..yummie, and liked the movie too. Back to business. I also haven't responded to your replies sooner because I wasn't informed there were any! Sometimes happens.
I couldn't find any Mary Stevens' birth in my (limited?) LDS Aust. VRI; and the only certificates I have which show 'how many years in Australia' are Richard Stevens and his brother Matthews' death certificates, from which I have calculated 1876 as being the year they arrived.
Irene

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 06 August 06 07:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue, Re the Ann to Murton marriage, I am thinking again that this was just a mistake (naming Ann Harry as Ann Murton), and that whomever wrote out the marriage certificate for Richard and Angelina had Murton on the brain.
Irene

Offline ozchook

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 06 August 06 07:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks too to Sarra, Jenn and Elsie: The Wlm Henry Murton found in the Pioneer Index was Angelina's father. He and his small family arrived in Sth. Aust in 1857, where Angelina was born (Burra) before going to the goldfields of Bendigo.
Sarra, I'm going to ring PROV tomorrow to find out if they have the 1876 shipping list for Assisted Passengers available in their reading room,, and if it is available, I will put up a request that someone have a look for me. Thanks again
Irene