Author Topic: Vipond/Cousin  (Read 4383 times)

Offline VeraT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Vipond/Cousin
« on: Wednesday 02 August 06 15:43 BST (UK) »
I found these families on the 1911 Census for Canada living at Brantford, Brant, Ontario:

Thomas Vipond and his wife Mary Jane (nee Cousin)
William Cousin and his wife Annie (nee Rutherford) and child Annie E.  All were born in England except little Annie E. who was born in Ontario. 

How would I get her Birth Certificate?
How would I get further information about the rest i.e. death certs, places they lived, all the usual stuff?

VeraT

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Vipond/Cousin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 16:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Vera,

Since Annie was born in 1908, that means it is free to the public so available on microfilm.

Are you in Canada?

Also if you go the Brantford Public Library, and search the BDM in the Newspaper you will see a Thomas Vipond died in 1940.

There is also a marriage for an A. Evelyn Cousin in Brantford to Harry D. Lee

http://www.brantford.library.on.ca/genealogy/bmd.php#search

If you go to the cemetery site, you will see some of the cousins and viponds are buried in Mount Hope Cemetery.

http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/

Karen

Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline VeraT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 21:40 BST (UK) »
Karen, What a star you are!!!

Thanks for your help - I can't thank you enough.

I am in Alston, Cumbria, England, about five miles from where William and his sister were born.

Regards, Vera

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Vera,

Your welcome!

Next time I'm at the library, I'll get a copy of Annie's birth registration for you.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 August 06 02:26 BST (UK) »
Hi again Vera,

I was talking with my dad tonight, who grew up in Brantford and asked if he knew any Viponds.  To my surprise he said yes, Robbie Vipond.  He said that Robbie played for the Brantford Red Sox.

Not sure if he's a connection to yours, but here's a link to the Brantford Red Sox and they have a picture of Robbie.

http://www.brantfordredsox.ca/honourednumbers.htm

Karen
Huck - Alsace, France
Bowman & Ellis - England

Offline VeraT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 August 06 21:03 BST (UK) »
Karen, Thanks very much,
VeraT

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 August 06 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm...didn't we say it all along...Karen ( or her family) knows everyone )  ;D J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Canuk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Always seeking info on EVE Family in Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 August 06 00:38 BST (UK) »
We have a very well known citizen here called Don Vipond.  He is the retired editorial page editor for the daily newspaper, the Victoria Times Colonist.  He is still very active in church politics, ecology, and is a stickler for good grammar and proper puctuation.  Google the Times Colonist.  I'm sure they'll put you in touch.  He's still very much a part of the furniture.
EVE, CARTER, HADLOW, BONES, all between Faversham and Canterbury, Kent, England

Offline kenneth cooke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 17 March 10 22:15 GMT (UK) »
It's a few years since the last reply. If I had seen it earlier, I would have said "Look for them in Alston parish",
I came across them in Garrigill, as one of my Stouts (re)married to a Vipond.
" In Garrigill, John Stout, born in 1823, married Sybil Moore in 1844. Their  children  were Betty 1845, Sybil 49, John 54, Maria 57 and Simon 1859. John died in 1859 and Sybil remarried the following year, to Joseph Vipond, who kept the Fox Inn. Two of her daughters, Sybil and Maria, married two brothers named Anderson.
Betty, unmarried, gave birth to a daughter, Tamar, in 1866, and three years later married John Rain. She left Tamar with her mother, Sybil, and in the Census of 1891 Tamar, aged fourteen, lived at the inn and worked as a barmaid.
When I contacted a relative of the Garrigill Stouts, she was able to tell me that Tamar had married John Bales, whose family ran a clothing store. Her grandmother remembered visiting them when she was young." From my notes on Stout family.
I also heard that the Fox Inn has gone.
Ken Cooke