Author Topic: Vipond/Cousin  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Vipond/Cousin
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 18 March 10 04:04 GMT (UK) »
I found the following birth in the Ontario births database:

Annie Evelyn Cousin, born 23 Jan 1908 to William Cousin and Annie Rutherford in Brantford, Brant County, Ontario.

Here's a link to the passenger list at Library and Archives Canada with Thomas and Mary Jane Vipond arriving in Quebec on the Virginian on 7 May 1910 (line 5 and 6):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e143/e003561073.jpg
Their destination is listed as Brantford, Ontario.

Here's the link to the passenger list at LAC with William and Annie Cousin arriving on the Virginian in Montreal on 4 May 1906 (about line 34 and 35):
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e147/e003659623.jpg
Their destination was also listed as Brampton, Ontario.

Also if you go the Brantford Public Library, and search the BDM in the Newspaper you will see a Thomas Vipond died in 1940.

That index also had a death for a Mrs. Thomas Vipond in 1936. There was another entry for Mrs. Jane Vipond that was dated a few days after the other one. I wonder if Mary Jane went by Jane only as well. There were certainly some strong possibilities for Cousin(s) matches as well besides the marriage.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline VeraT

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 March 10 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Jacquie, I must get to grips with this family and get some certs. ordered.  I hope they will be cheaper than the U.K. ones which will cost £9.00 each after 6th April!!

Thanks, also to Karen for your help.

Thanks for your suggestion Kenneth, but I am a native of Alston which is about 5 miles from Garrigill which was awash with Viponds at one time BUT so far I cannot connect my Vipond to them.  However, never say never in this game!!

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 March 10 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Jacquie, I must get to grips with this family and get some certs. ordered. 

The birth registration I referred to can be obtained for free. Has anyone sent it to you yet? If not, then please PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

As for the marriage of A. Evelyn Cousin, the registration won't be available due to privacy laws for a couple of years. Currently marriages from 1927 are being microfilmed and should be available this year but will take longer to be transcribed and available online. Marriages from 1928 are still protected and a registration can only be ordered by either the couple themselves or by their next of kin. Regarding the deaths, the one for Mrs. Jane Vipond should be available on microfilm but I don't believe the image is online yet (Ancestry's Ontario death index only goes to 1934) however the 1940 death registration of Thomas Vipond is still protected by privacy laws.

The $10 fee for 5 photocopies from the index charged by the Brantford Library is a LOT cheaper than ordering certificates if you qualified to do so.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz