Author Topic: Boer War - Cameron/ Seaforth Highlanders - WW1 - Royal Welch - Help!  (Read 6488 times)

Offline manchester regt

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boer War - Cameron/ Seaforth Highlanders - WW1 - Royal Welch - Help!
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 06 August 06 05:23 BST (UK) »
gadget,the ref 1915 on his medal card isnt the date he enlisted,its the date he landed in france,he may have already been in the army before the war started,also he could have served with capt lloyd in the boer war,and when ww1 started capt lloyd was with another regt and your gt grandfather transferred to it to serve with him again,just a thought,mack
manchester regiment,ww1

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 August 06 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mack - I was wondering about that. Spoke to sister last night and she is still convinced that he was in the Camerons or Seaforths as there was the Scottish connection. I just hope that the obituary will sort it out. Otherwise, it's Caernarfon and £££.
His 1915 diary does indicate that he was already enlisted before the year started.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 13:56 BST (UK) »
Just received the Funeral report/obit of Granddad (29 June 1924 - reported 2nd July)- sadly it doesn't give us much to go on. The relevant bit is:

Mr Wilson was was well known in the district and respected. The funeral was military, bearing tribute to a fine record of army service and over one hundred persons attended it. The pall bearers were six soldiers from the local unit. Over the grave the “Last Post” was sounded and three volleys fired.

I will probably  now have to write to Caernarfon to see what they have on him.

Thanks for your help

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 September 06 20:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
Just to add to the confusion about your grandad/or the 2nd medal card.  Found this on SDGW, which does tie-in with some of the history that you have related:

Pte James Fleming Wilson
6 Bn, Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders
Born: Glenluce, Wigtownshire
Enlisted: Wigtown, Wigtownshire
Residence: Whanphill

died: 28/03/18 - KIA = F&F
Regimental No: 203954
formerly 6334, Lovat Scouts:

Lord Lovat knew better than most that his Highland countrymen had a natural ability at spying, stalking, riding and shooting. He recognised that these skills were needed desperately in South Africa and he therefore approached the War Office on 12th December 1899 requesting permission to raise the Lovat Scouts. He was granted permission some two weeks later "to raise one or possibly two companies which were to be primarily for scouting purposes". The companies were to be attached to the Black Watch.

Lord Lovat declined the command of his scouts as he himself had seen no active service. On his application the War Office agreed to appoint the 36 year old Col. the Hon. Andrew D Murray, 1st Cameron Highlanders, as the first Commanding Officer of the Lovat Scouts.

1st Contingent of the Lovat Scouts departed from Beauly Station amidst a tumultuous send off. They arrived in Cape Town on 17th April 1900 ...., With there being no sign of the end to war, and bearing in mind that men had enlisted for only 1 year, Lord Lovat returned to Scotland in April 1901 to raise the Second Contingent. These were Yeomanry and private soldiers and therefore became troopers. Again there were two companies entitled 99th and 100th Coys., Imperial [b]Yeomanry [/b] (Lovat Scouts). They were soon to join their comrades in Africa after a 'perilously short' period of training at Beaufort.

The Lovat Scouts continued in action up to the peace treaty of 31st May 1902.  They returned to Beaufort, near Inverness in August 1902 and were thereafter disbanded.

Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 03 September 06 21:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks ever so much for looking this info up and relating it but he was James Frederick Wilson.

Gadget