Author Topic: Baptism in 1801-1837 Cambs F.H. database - Dr Williams Library  (Read 4625 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Baptism in 1801-1837 Cambs F.H. database - Dr Williams Library
« on: Thursday 03 August 06 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
I'm going to show my ignorance here by posing the following query.  I've just looked up on the excellent CFHS website a baptism on their 1801-1837 database.  I found a John JOHNSON aged 6 months baptised in 1803 - hopefully the man I'm looking for - but unfortunately under the parish where the event took place it simply states Dr William's Library, with an asterisk.
Could some more knowledgeable person tell me where I might find details of which specific (Cambridge, I'm hoping) parish or chapel this baptism would have taken place in...
very best wishes,
keith

Offline Elizabeth Revel

• My email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism in 1801-1837 Cambs F.H. database - Dr Williams Library
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 August 06 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

I have googled the Library and there is a site which explains how the resource came to be. It sounds as though the births were from a variety of locations. Interesting that the Library is still in existence.

Beth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lancashire and Cheshire: Harding, Turner, Gandy, Rigby, Bancroft, Moorcroft, Wright
Wiltshire: Webb, Hayter, Mussell, Curtice, Sheppard
Hampshire: Harper, Rawlings
Ireland: Revels, Qua, Alexander, Clegg
Bucks, Northants, Derby, Leicester and Cheshire: Spokes, Glover, Sturgess, Attewell, Whiting, Lester, Hall

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 August 06 12:27 BST (UK) »
Beth,
I've also had another look at the CFHS site and spotted the Dr Williams Library Index.  When I clicked on there I came up with another entry for a possible John JOHNSON, but this was 1802, and for Trinity, Cambridge; but this one didn't appear when I previously tried the 1801-1837 baptism index.
No parents given for the 1802 entry, either.  I'm a bit confused...
keith

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 August 06 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith

Many of the Dr William's non-conformist registers are on the BVRI. Yours has a wealth of detail! But not which specific church/chapel.

John Johnson born 26 July 1802 at 0284 (don't know what this relates to) Over, Cambs, son of John and Phoebe Johnson. Phoebe was formerly Phoebe Hemington daughter of William and Phoebe Hemington

also from Dr Williams
John Johnson born 9 June 1802 at 2758, Trinity Cambridge son of John and Susannah Johnson. She was formerly Braysher daughter of William & Hanah Braysher

Followed by a straightforward CoE entry
John Johnson baptised at Cherry Hinton on 4 Sept 1803 son of Robert & Peggy Johnson

Over to you!

All the best

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 August 06 12:55 BST (UK) »
An entry in the Dr Williams' Library index usually indicates a non-conformist family.

Dr Williams was a presbyterian minister who died in the 18th century.  He bequeathed his book collection for public use and this is how the library came into being in 1729.  It was then known as "The Dissenters Library in Red Cross Street."  By 1890 it was in Gordon Square.

Non-conformist ministers apparently neglected proper register keeping and so the Protestant Dissenting Deputies of the Three Denominations (Baptists, Presbyterians and Congregationalist) formed the General Register of Births and arranged with the trustees of the Library for it to be kept there.  It was open to Londoners, non-conformists and ANY parents ready to sign a certificate of the their child's birth and pay 6d to register a copy.  The certificates contained the exact place of birth and the name of the mother's father, as well as the usual information.  However, not that many took up the offer so the ministers were encouraged to deposit their register books.

The original certificates were bound into books in 1831 and in 1837 they were transferred to the keeping of the Registrar General along with the deposited registers and can be found in the National Archives under class RG.

This document tells you how to search the Registers:

http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/frc/pdfs/HTU_RG5_Dr_Williams.pdf

The Library's contact information is as follows:
Dr. Williams's Library, 14 Gordon Square, London WC1H 0AG; Tel.: +44 (0)20 7387 3727; fax: +44 (0)20 7388 1142;
or e-mail  enquiries [at]] dwlib.co.uk

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 August 06 13:02 BST (UK) »
David,
I had a strong feeling (and hope) that you'd come to the rescue on this one.  From the info you give me, I'm inclining towards the 1802 Holy Trinity individual...
And Nell, thanks so much for that comprehensive summary of how it all worked with Dr Williams and Co.
Now I have quite a bit of researching of my own next time I go to the CCRO, but won't forget your "pending" list, David...
keith