Author Topic: Family - Do we have our priorities right?  (Read 7767 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Family - Do we have our priorities right?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 11:10 BST (UK) »
What a shame Bill and a timely reminder we should spend a bit more time with our loved ones.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 12:27 BST (UK) »
I guess we all have regrets Bill and think we could have done things better, but I am sure she would  be very pleased that you have visited some of her relatives in the USA. Thats a very positive thing to come out of it all.

Linda.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 14:01 BST (UK) »
Bill, I'm sure your wife would be pleased that you have tracked down her relatives.

'A labour of love'  as my old Grandad used to say.
Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 14:59 BST (UK) »
Oh, Bill...You know she was only teasing you! She was the one who got you started on the genealogy thing as you said. My husband and I tease each other about the obsessive searching,  but really we totally understand...
and you've done so much to get in touch with her family....that's a terrific gesture...so enjoy it.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 15:15 BST (UK) »
Now about this topic...I have pondered the subject often and agree with all answers...My siblings used to be tight and I would spend all my vacation money and time to see them! Then I realized once I had a child and less time and money, that no one was coming to see me and MY family and home...There, I've said it...Whether or not I'll feel better for it, who knows...
  I guess I have just begun to be more selfish myself and share more with those who share with me...time and effort...not just money...
I have had people go out their way on this forrum to search for things on my behalf...just because they are wonderful and caring people. I have had a super reply from a very distant relative responding to my website on the ancestors... and she has made an effort to keep in touch with me ever since.  I'm thrilled...
and I have a genealogy pal who looks in on it often...just because...

My own siblings glanced at the site and that was about it... :P

So have fun with your rellies that you wish to be with, cousins or too distant to count back..If we like them and they like us...what's to question? ;D
   J.J.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline wheeldon

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 15:43 BST (UK) »
My thoughts are the same as many have pointed out.

It's about the relationships we have with other human beings.  We can't all get along with all of our cousins, just for the sake that they are closely related.  However, we can and do make friendships with other people who have a common interest.

It makes you wonder how many of our ancestors didn't speak to, like, or even know their own cousins and siblings.  My Gran had eleven older half siblings and didn't have a clue who the eldest ones were or where they lived.

However, it's probably these cousins that have the vital key to your family mystery or photos etc.

Crikey, can you imagine your social calendar if you had to attend every 'do' your cousins had.

Wheeldon  Derbyshire & Manchester
Willshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Wilshaw Staffordshire & Manchester
Pugh Manchester, Haston, Hadwell, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
Patrick Coventry, Warwick, Foleshill
Kelly Dronmore County Down & Manchester
Stewart  Hilsborough County Down & Manchester
Moffatt/Moffitt County May &, Lancashire

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 15:58 BST (UK) »
Crikey, can you imagine your social calendar if you had to attend every 'do' your cousins had.

Or the expense of all those birthday, christmas, wedding and christening presents!   :o

Regards, Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline ednalou

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I am the very distant cousin that Linmey has talked about.

I just put a request in about my Great Grandfather and my Great Grandmother and low and behold my Great Grandmother was sister to Linmey's Great Great Grandfather, thats how we made contact.

Our contact on Rootschat became more serious.  I became ill at Christmas, and my distant cousin kept in touch with me and my family through my hard times, I am better than what I was but, I am still ill I have to be registered for lung transplants, this is the only option I have, but she has kept my spirit up through my bad times.  We have met a few times and she is coming up to see me next week which will be really nice.  My friend got me started on the Family Tree and she told me to try this site, so if it wasn't for my friend telling me I wouldn't have met my cousin.

I dont suppose some of my cousins even know of my illness.
Some of my cousins I haven't seen for about 25+ years, and when and if I see them it is usually at funerals. 

It is really nice to have a site where people can trace back their family and build a friendship up with the distant relatives.

So Thank you to Rootschat, and carry on with the good work you do on Rootschat.

Regards

Gillian 

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 22:10 BST (UK) »
Gillian

I'll say a little prayer for you and I hope you and Linmey have a lovely time next week.

Rootschat is a bit like a global family anyway.  There are so many links between various chatters.  Those of us who aren't linked feel like family too.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....