Author Topic: Colchester Barracks  (Read 2655 times)

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Colchester Barracks
« on: Thursday 03 August 06 16:45 BST (UK) »
My gg granfather was born in Colchester in c1815. I have managed to get my hands on the Parish Records (thank you, LDS!), and now need to look him up. I now find there are over a dozen churches, so I have to plough through an awful lot of records! It is possible that his father, who was in the Army, was in Colchester in duty, and he was born nearby, and christened in  local church. So to save myself going through all the records, can someone tell me the closest church to the Barracks, so I can start there?

Thanks

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Colchester Barracks
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 August 06 17:06 BST (UK) »
hi Meles,

don't know if this will help but you could try "The Garrison Church of St Albans the Martyr" which is situated  in Military Road Colchester it is opposite the Roberts Road Military gate entrance to the barracks. There maybe others but it is the only one that I know, maybe a more local rootschatter for Colchester can tell you of others.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 August 06 17:08 BST (UK) »
Now that's very helpful, as it's not on my list! Another one to look up. Thanks for that.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 August 06 17:16 BST (UK) »
lol, sorry meles its the sort of "luck" that I would encounter.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 August 06 18:35 BST (UK) »
Meles,

I have just found out that the church that I mentioned was not built until 1854 so it would be no good to you.

old rowley

Offline MALCOLM

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Looking Forward.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 August 06 20:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Meles.
                 We've been on this trail before, i can't help you with the marriage but i have a CD of the parish registers of Colchester from 1813. There are some marriages & baptisms for Brock but i think you may already have that info but if you want a copy of the pages send me your email address.

Malcolm.
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 August 06 20:27 BST (UK) »
Malcolm
That's a very kind offer, but another RootsChatter made the same offer an hour ago, and already looked up the name (George William Brock). Unfortunately, it came up with a blank. But not all the churches are on the CD, so at least I have only a couple of PR's now to plough through now.

Cheers!

meles

Offline Clincher

• my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 July 07 17:40 BST (UK) »
I was doing a look-up for someone in Orsett St Giles and All Saints D/P 82/1/10 C 1813-1848 F4
fiche 2 of 4 and found this:
page 72 entry 576 1825 Sep 20 Hannah d John and Mary Brock of Yarmouth, Norfolk- Norfolk Militia. There was a bit of text on microfiche which was written with a thick nib or pencil and it looked like 'born 1819? Harwich'.
page 73 entry 577 1825 Sep 20 George William s John and Mary Brock of Yarmouth, Norfolk - Norfolk Militia. There was an extra bit of info 'born 17 May 1813 at Colchester

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 July 07 17:51 BST (UK) »
Oh, OH,  OH!

That's the sort of thing I've been looking for for 5 years! Thank you!  ;D

However, it's nothing like the info I was expecting!  :-\

I will need to consider it carefully - looks like gg grandad was married before!

I may need to ask more questions - but, just to be sure sure - these are marriage records, aren't they, Clincher?

Many, many thanks

meles