Author Topic: 2nd Battn. Loyals (N. Lancs): 1936-1942  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Chris497

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
2nd Battn. Loyals (N. Lancs): 1936-1942
« on: Friday 04 August 06 10:40 BST (UK) »
Can anyone enlighten me as to the details of the movements of the 2nd Battn. Loyal Regiment between 1936 and their capture at Singapore.  Were they in Palestine or Shanghai during this period, and if so, when?  I had an uncle who served with them and who died on the Burma railway in 1943 (bur. Kanchanburi CWGC) and who seems to have left a wife and child in Shanghai, and I'm looking for any clues as to their fate.

Thanks
Chris 
Blennerhassett: Goodfellow: Grouse: Groves: Haycroft: Kirkby:  Marmont: Stanger: Stretton: Thompson

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Battn. Loyals (N. Lancs): 1936-1942
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 August 06 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi chris,

Can not really help you with your search details for this regiment but one site that I would recommend to anyone who has rellies that were in the far east in the 2nd world war and who were captured by the Japanese is that of the Far East Prisoner of War Community Group on Yahoo!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fepow-community

I would have ago at posting on there as well as here as Ron and the others that contribute on the fepow site are very knowledgable and you never know what they will come up with.

You will also find that they have a roll of honour and even with out knowing his name I know that it will be on there.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline dortmund

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 06 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

According to one of my books the 2nd Batt were in Shanghi in 1936 and in Malaya 1938.

Hope this helps.

Trevor
Ethell in Yorkshire & Kent
Gamble in Hemsley & York
Kersley In Sheffield & Winchester
Roberts in Llanwrst & Sheffield
Lill in Boston
Wake in Yorkshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from "http://wwwnationalarachives.gov.uk"

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 August 06 17:08 BST (UK) »
Chris,

if you go to www.regiments.org and search for the the Loyals (you will get them by going to The Lancashire Regiment page) it will give you a listing of where they were and dates leading up to their capture at Singapore and beyond.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline dortmund

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 August 06 18:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

This might help.

Trevor
Gamble in Hemsley & York
Lill in Boston
Wake in Yorkshire

Census information is Crown Copyright, from "http://wwwnationalarachives.gov.uk"

Offline Chris497

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 August 06 16:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for the helpful comments and the image.  I've applied to join the Fepow community list.  I  hadn't come across this before.

Chris
Blennerhassett: Goodfellow: Grouse: Groves: Haycroft: Kirkby:  Marmont: Stanger: Stretton: Thompson

Offline Chris497

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 December 06 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Trevor

One thing I should have asked - can you give me a citeable source for the book extract with the Loyals' movements.  I like to have my sources decently referenced if at all possible.

Chris

Offline dortmund

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 December 06 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris, :)

The book that I got the info from is as follows, "English & Welsh Infantry Regiments" record of service 1662 - 1994. by Ray Westlake. ISBN 1-873376-24-3

pub by Spellmount Ltd, The Old Rectory,Staplehurst, KENT TN12 0AZ.

page 157 of above book.

Trevor
Gamble in Hemsley & York
Lill in Boston
Wake in Yorkshire

Offline Chris497

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 15 December 06 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Trevor

Many thanks.

Chris