Author Topic: Surname - SKEETH???  (Read 2244 times)

Offline trachelospermum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ron Perry, killed in action aged 22, 06.08.1943
    • View Profile
Surname - SKEETH???
« on: Friday 04 August 06 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, has anyone come across this surname in their hunts at all? Looking for the marriage of John Webb to Jane around 1820-30 in North Mimms, the IGI came back with John Webb marrying Jane Skeeth on both the 3rd and 9th September 1826. Ancestry comes back with no matches on the surname. An clues? Jo
Beilby        - Cheddington, Buckinghamshire<br />Clarke        - Hatfield, Hertfordshire<br />Dumpleton - Bedfordshire<br />Frampton   - Hannington/Swindon, Wiltshire<br />Green         - Whilton/Culworth, Northamptonshire<br />Jopson       - Haverhill, Suffolk, Marylebone & St Pancras<br />Knibbs        - Akeley, Buckinghamshire<br />Latchford   - Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire<br />Luders        - Germany<br />Perry          -Little Fransham, Norfolk

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: Surname - Skeeth???
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 06 02:25 BST (UK) »
BVRI suggests alternate spellings SKEITH and SKEATH.  The name is not that common and is predominantly in Lincolnshire, Rutland and Derbyshire in the 19th Century.  Hope this helps!

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline trachelospermum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Surname - Skeeth???
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 06 11:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks, at a guess the family probably came from that area at sometime then. When I go to the RO hopefully I'll find clarification! Jo
Beilby        - Cheddington, Buckinghamshire<br />Clarke        - Hatfield, Hertfordshire<br />Dumpleton - Bedfordshire<br />Frampton   - Hannington/Swindon, Wiltshire<br />Green         - Whilton/Culworth, Northamptonshire<br />Jopson       - Haverhill, Suffolk, Marylebone & St Pancras<br />Knibbs        - Akeley, Buckinghamshire<br />Latchford   - Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire<br />Luders        - Germany<br />Perry          -Little Fransham, Norfolk

Offline petercornish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Surname - SKEETH???
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo,

I have seen the parish record and can confirm that the marriage took place on 3rd September 1826 at North Mimms.  By comparison with other entries I would suggest that the spelling of Jane's surname is SKEETH.  The couple, both of  the parish,  were married by banns and the witnesses were Anne Hutchins and James Giles (Parish clerk).

Hope this helps.

Regards   ...   Peter
Census information is Crown Copyright http:/www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trachelospermum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Surname - SKEETH???
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 17:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that - I did wonder if it was  transcription error, but obviously not. I wonder if she was born there or not. Another question to answer! Thanks for the confirmation on her surname and date of marriage. Jo