Author Topic: Walter George SHERGOLD  (Read 4819 times)

Offline colinsorigins

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter George SHERGOLD
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 August 06 03:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Vicki

Just one more marriage for Robert Shergold with a Mary.   There is an entry in the IGI for a marriage with Mary Knight at Preshute 18 Oct 1775.  I had ignored this because it was submitted by a church member, however, it is present in the parish register.

Preshute, like Urchfont is in the vicinity of Devizes, and seems a long distance from Wilton.   A closer look at the IGI suggests there was an influx of Shergolds into the Wilton area after 1760 ish or later.   There are lots of entries for Wilton, but the earliest baptism in the parish register is 1790;  the rest are wrong guesses by church members.   There is a similar story for Great Wishord, but the earliest marriage is 1780;  many of the baptism entries look bogus because the date is not given, but it would be necessary to consult the origanal register to confim or deny the entries where a date is given.

{in looking for the death of Walter George had you observed that the registration district name changed from Alderbury to Salisbury in 1895?}.

Best wishes

Colin
Winterslow: Shears, Sheath, Stainer, Ballard
Wilton: Pressley, Beckett
Downton: Davis
Oxford: Honey
Usk/Caerwent: Thomas
Radnage/Dixton: Howells

Offline Donarn

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter George SHERGOLD
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 November 06 07:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vicki

I am the great  grand daughter of Samuel Lampson Shergold who married Mary Ann Benge.
I have a few details regarding their deaths.  I can also supply you with details of my dad (Don's ) side of the Shergold Family here in New Zealand.

Look forward to you reply

Donna Shergold-Arnold :)