Author Topic: Advice Please? Monitor Response Rates  (Read 961 times)

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Advice Please? Monitor Response Rates
« on: Saturday 05 August 06 11:26 BST (UK) »
Tell me O learned ones.......What is best / fastest?

4ms (grey to grey) or 8ms (assume to be black to white).

Thanks, Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Advice Please? Monitor Response Rates
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 06 19:50 BST (UK) »
Many of the response times quoted by manufacturers are meaningless the technically correct measurement is supposedly from black to white and back to black. However some manufacturers confuse the matter by quoting grey to grey figures but as you don't really know where in the cycle this takes place the quoted response time may not be totally accurate. (in some monitors light to dark cycle is faster than the dark to light)

In theory the faster the response time the better the image refreshment but always try and test it yourself make sure there is no ghosting or screen distortions when movement occurs.

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 August 06 20:57 BST (UK) »
Falkyrn....Thanks for the reply.

I am still in a bit of a fix with this.....I had ordered hardglass  Xerox Xa7-1921 monitors (8ms.....don't know whether GTG or BTW/WTB) but the UK is basically sold out.

I have option on a similar type of monitor, AGneovo E-19 (4ms GTG)[Manufacturers Literature].

For the life of me I cannot work out whether the AGneovo is a suitable alternative.

Any clues?

Thanks Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 August 06 21:15 BST (UK) »
Looking at online specifications for both monitors the only difference (other than that response time) I can see is in the contrast ratio. The Xerox is quoted at 800:1 while the Neovo is only at 400:1.***
The response time on both is good although not the best - there are monitors with a response time at 2ms - but unless you are into high action gaming or high quality video it is unlikely that you will notice much difference.

*** just read a few more reviews one of which claimed the response ratio for the Neovo  to be 500:1 while another claimed 700:1 (strange ?)

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 August 06 21:22 BST (UK) »
Looking at online specifications for both monitors the only difference (other than that response time) I can see is in the contrast ratio. The Xerox is quoted at 800:1 while the Neovo is only at 400:1.
The response time on both is good although not the best - there are monitors with a response time at 2ms - but unless you are into high action gaming or high quality video it is unlikely that you will notice much difference.

Thanks mate!....Thanks for looking at the specs....when you say 'only' does this mean better or worse than the Xerox?

Al.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 August 06 21:23 BST (UK) »
On paper the Xerox would appear to have the edge ...

The only criticisms I could find of it were concerning the reflections from the glass causing some minor viewing problems in bright direct light

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 August 06 00:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks again.....I guessed you might say that..

The glass isn't a problem really.....I had a Xerox monitor with a previous PC but it was several months ago, so I can't recall how well it performed.....As it stands, I can't really see any difference other than the AG neovo has a separate in-line power transformer (which hides behind the stand anyway).....and c..p speakers which don't really show.

The reason for wanting the glass ones, is that I have already stuck a very sharp pencil into a 'flexible screen'....it didn't do it a lot of good.

Thanks again for taking the trouble to look at them.. Al.

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 August 06 22:19 BST (UK) »
Falykyrn.....Just to let you know that I managed to get a response from AGneovo themselves today....this might be useful information for the future.

The E-19A monitor is 4ms (Grey to Grey) [8ms (Black to white)].
The contrast ratio is 700:1

It therefore looks as though it is roughly the same as the Xerox, which has an 800:1 contrast ratio.

So I'm happy with them.....Thanks for your advice.

Al.