Author Topic: Cowmeadow family - Forest of Dean  (Read 5362 times)

Offline cogger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cowmeadow family - Forest of Dean
« on: Saturday 05 August 06 16:33 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for info on one of my ancestors, Mary Ann Cowmeadow.

She married Joseph Nicholls in 1836, and her parents were James Cowmeadow, and Elizabeth (Surname unknown).  I am pretty sure that she is the right person as she is listed on the sensus as being born in Redbrook, and she is the only Mary Ann Born in Redbrook at the right time.

The problem I have is this... James and Elizabeth appear to have had two daughters, christened on 14.11.1813 and 20.7.1815 respectively, they were both called Mary Ann though!!  How do I find out which one is mine?

Also, I have no info on Elizabeths surname and cannoot trace a marriage.. anyone got any ideas??

Thanks.

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Cowmeadow family - Forest of Dean
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 August 06 04:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
This may help, from the IGI. You may have them, but I will post them just in case you do not

James Cowmeadow married an Elizabeth Williams 23 June 1810 at Abenhall, East Dean

Found these children
William, christened 13 Jan 1811, Abinghall
James & Mary Ann both christened 14 Nov 1813 at Newland
Hannah, 23 July 1815 Newland
Mary Ann 28 July 1815 Newland
Mary Ann, 15 Oct 1815 Abinghall
Cornelius, 31 August 1817 at Holy Trinity, Drybrook
Elizabeth, 20 Oct 1822 Mitcheldean
Hannah, 15 Oct 1826 at the Holy Trinity, Drybrook, and died 5 Feb 1832

All the records are at the PRO Gloster

Offline cogger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 06 11:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alf, no I didn't have that.  I'm still desperately confused over why two daughter, born within two years, with the same name though... Did the first Mary Ann die before her 2nd birthday I wonder?

Offline alf

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 06 14:25 BST (UK) »
What I have found with my lot the Beard's when a child dies and another comes along they will use the same name again. I have one family that had three kids with the same name and they all died within 1yr of their birth, so it is not unusal. Where in the Forest did they live and have  the burial sites been checked for graves. if not let me know and I will keep an eye open for them

Alf

Offline cogger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 August 06 21:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Alf, I'm leaning towards that theory, which means that my Mary Ann is the later one.  She was born in Redbrook so I guess that her sister would have been buried around there somewhere.

Offline probinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
This may help, from the IGI. You may have them, but I will post them just in case you do not

James Cowmeadow married an Elizabeth Williams 23 June 1810 at Abenhall, East Dean

Found these children
William, christened 13 Jan 1811, Abinghall
James & Mary Ann both christened 14 Nov 1813 at Newland
Hannah, 23 July 1815 Newland
Mary Ann 28 July 1815 Newland
Mary Ann, 15 Oct 1815 Abinghall
Cornelius, 31 August 1817 at Holy Trinity, Drybrook
Elizabeth, 20 Oct 1822 Mitcheldean
Hannah, 15 Oct 1826 at the Holy Trinity, Drybrook, and died 5 Feb 1832

All the records are at the PRO Gloster

I know this is an old post but, for the benefit of anyone else who, like me, finds it in a search, the above info mixes two different families. There was a Cowmeadow family from Redbrook and another from Cinderford who both had parents of James and Elizabeth and both had daughters called Mary Ann. The Cinderford family had children, as of 1843, called William, James, John, Mary Ann and Elizabeth as evidenced by their Father's will of 31 December 1843. He died 20 days later so unlikely he fathered any more children in the mean time. Hannah (1826) is likely to have also been theirs but died before this date and Cornelius too but he must have also died young.

Also, the marriage referenced to above is of the Cinderford couple.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 18:10 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the Forest of Dean family History forum transcribed records : there are two James COWMEADOW and Elizabeth having children.

One family is James, who is a Blacksmith at Abenhall and Drybrook, the other James is a labourer at Newland, residence: Redbrick

At Abenhall

briefly

1813 : James COWMEADOW, residence : Forest of Dean, James, occupation, Blacksmith
1815 : Mary-ann COWMEADOW, residence: Forest of Dean, James, occupation: Blacksmith

At Drybrook

1817 : Cornelius COWMEADOW, residence : Drybrook, James, occupation, Smithy
1820: not stated, residence, Drybrook, James, occupation Smith,
1826 : Hannah COWMEADOW, residence: Drybrook, James, occupation, Smith

At Mitcheldean

1822: Elizabeth COWMEADOW, residence: Forest of Dean, occupation, Blacksmith

At Newland

1815 : Mary Ann - residence: Redbrook, James, occupation, Labourer
1815 : Hannah - residence, Redbrook, James, occupation, Labourer

Offline probinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 December 15 21:04 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the Forest of Dean family History forum transcribed records : there are two James COWMEADOW and Elizabeth having children.

One family is James, who is a Blacksmith at Abenhall and Drybrook, the other James is a labourer at Newland, residence: Redbrick

Thanks for confirmation. The Drybrook Family is the same as the Cinderford family. Not sure of start date but they ran the Victoria Hotel at the bottom of Victoria St. In 1841 census they are shown there. James died 1844 and Elizabeth continued to run the hotel with Mary Ann taking over after her mother died. In James' will he mentions the blacksmith shop in Drybrook.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 December 15 12:29 GMT (UK) »
On the Forest of Dean Family History website in 2010 - there is quite a long thread (with a decendant from Mary Ann COWMEADOW 1815 Redbrook, who married Joseph NICHOLLS - tinman and assume as Redbrook had a tinworks, this is where he met Ann)

There's quite a debate - one of the records is:

the burial at English Bicknor of James COWMEADOW, of the Parish of Newland age 28 - buried 1 January 1816 - and discussing the possibility of Elizabeth COWMEADOW marrying again to George ROBINS/ROBBINS in 1817 at Newland

Marriage at Newland - 29 December 1817

Elizabeth COWMEADOW, (Widow) - to George ROBINS, Bachelor, Newland by banns
mark of Thomas HARRIS and Mary RUDGER.

George & Elizabeth ROBINS, then had Thomas 1818, William 1822, Ann 1830 (also John ROBBINS - 27 February 1825 at Redbrook**)

1841 Census, Newland, Upper Redbrook

ROBINS

George 50/54
John 15/19  ** christened 27 February 1825
Ann 10
Ann JONES 15-19

---

Also a burial of Hannah COWMEADOW aged 10 months 12 May 1816 - residence given as the parish of Newland - buried at English Bicknor.

As Mary Ann and Hannah COWMEADOW were christened at Newland - and there were no more childfren after 1816 with father James - this look a possibility.