Author Topic: Looking for WILLIAMS Family  (Read 5593 times)

Offline Renee.S

• I am sorry but my email address has stopped working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I need rehab already!
    • View Profile
Looking for WILLIAMS Family
« on: Saturday 05 August 06 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hello~

I hope someone can help me or direct me somewhere to find this information:

My great-grandmother was Essie Williams, born somewhere around 1904 - 1905 in Maryland.  Her father, I believe, is William J Williams (though I am not 100% sure;  this info I have from ancestry.com) born around 1862 in Wales and emmigrated to the US in 1880.  Her mother is Annie Williams (again, not 100% sure) who was born in Maryland but both of her parents were born in Wales.  I do not know her maiden name.

I'm trying to find out WHERE in Wales William J came from and possibly where Annie's parents are from even though I do not have her surname.  If anything I'm looking for a confirmation that this is indeed Essie's father.

Essie also had several brothers and sisters, I believe ALL born in Maryland.

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Attached is a photo of the Williams' kids - my great-gran is the baby in the arms of her sister, Rene.  Photo is taken at "Dan's Rock Road (Where we lived), Maryland".

Williams, Allison, Shortz, Hill, Wilson

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Wiliams Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 August 06 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Renee
Welcome to Wales  :)
Do you have any more information on William J Williams, any little snippet to give a hint as to where in Wales he may have come from.   Although a small country there are and were many, many William Williams and I suspect his middle name was John............
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Renee.S

• RootsChat Extra
  • I need rehab already!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 06 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave!

:D  that's the problem!  when I'm looking on ancestry for more information, there are SO many William J Williams  :D that I haven't quite figured out WHERE in Wales he is from.  Unless his birth date is incorrect, there is ONE entry I found that could be him but the year is off by 12.  Is that possible?  Was this sort of information often incorrect on documents when people emmigrated?

Will look further and see what the possibilities are.

Thanks for your reply!!

(I think I already love this forum!!)

Offline Renee.S

• RootsChat Extra
  • I need rehab already!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 06 13:14 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm.  I'm really stuck on this one.  I'm pretty new to all this.  Can anyone suggest where else to look?

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of
this issue.

Essie Williams is my great-grandmother.  William J was born in Wales.  Annie's parents were born in Wales.  I tried to look up via James as he was born in Illinois (the only one - the rest were born in Maryland).

Offline rhys

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 August 06 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Renee.
The family are in Colchester. Mcdonaugh. Illinois in 1900
and Wilkins. Alhegheny. PA in 1920.The elder children in 1900 are born Illinois. in 1900 William aged 38 is enumerated as arriving in the USA in 1867 and having been in the country for 33 years.  If correct you should search the 1870 and 1880 USA census records for more possible info ,since if he was born in 1862 he will not appear in Welsh census records..

Rhys
Bouncing Emails

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Renee.S

• RootsChat Extra
  • I need rehab already!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 August 06 16:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Rhys!  Much appreciated!!!

Offline Renee.S

• RootsChat Extra
  • I need rehab already!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 August 06 16:29 BST (UK) »
So, if this is correct, then his Father would be Daniel C Williams and mother Emma Williams.  I can't get any further because I can't access Welsh records. :(

This is so nice and frustrating at the same time!!  I wish I had more experience.

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 August 06 21:47 BST (UK) »
Was William J the oldest child of Daniel and Emma?   The birth of the oldest child may give an idea as to when the parents married.

For example, looking between 1859 and 1862 FreeBMD shows a number of marriage entries for Daniel Williams (none for Daniel C Williams).   Only one entry has an Emma on the same page....................

1860 September quarter, Bridgend District, vol 11a, page 515.   On the same page is listed an Emma Tucker.

Could be only a coincidence.

Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 August 06 22:04 BST (UK) »
William and Annie's oldest child appears to have been born about 1896 in Illinois.   It is possible that William and Annie were married there probably between 1890 and 1896.   If you can find their marriage record, I assume this will give Annie's maiden name.   

All speculation I'm afraid but a possible start  :)

Cheers Dave