Author Topic: Computer Experts - HELP!!!!  (Read 13659 times)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Computer Experts - HELP!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 06 August 06 17:59 BST (UK) »
So what would you suggest I go for. I am confused. What Ram What Hard Drive What Processor would be best   Pleeese help some more !!!

If you are still considering the dell route, have a look at the Dimension 5150 its a nice enough machine and would more than do what you want at the moment and have the capabilities to do more should you decide to expand your computer usage. Its also described as "Vista capable".

Many of your decisions will be made for you by the budget you limit yourself to but the above machine is a reasonably fast with dual core processor,ddr2 fast memory reasonably large hard drive,XP media version ... its not the latest cutting edge technology but its a good solid workhorse and would be like a formla one car next to your current machine.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 August 06 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

In my opinion you should try and live with your current PC for a bit longer until PC's start shipping with the long awaited and much delayed Windows Vista.

Try and see if you can get your current PC to work faster using the things suggested in earlier threads.  Don't bother upgrading it any further as you will be replacing it with newer incompatible technology in the near future.

Theoretically PC's will have Windows Vista pre-installed by the autumn and you should study how prices compare for various 'budget' PCs between now and then.

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 17 August 06 21:18 BST (UK) »
A million thanks to every one who replied to my posts. I have got rid of loads of temporary internet files and de-fraged and now next week I am getting a memory upgrade. I have had someone look at my system and have been told  this appears to be the only thing that is causng me problems so I shall let you know this time next week if there is an improvement. In the meantime I shall keep all your tips every one, very interesting and very helpful. Best wishes

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 18 August 06 01:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

The experts normally recommend that you should have 500mb of RAM when running Windows XP.  You should notice your computer go faster if you add more RAM.  I would say that 256MB of RAM is the minimum you can get away with.

Reducing the number of Startup programs will also speed up your system.  Very few programs actually need to be launched when you bootup your computer.  You can start any program when you need it so it doesn't waste your resources until it is needed.

Also try and reduce the number of processes that are running:
Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and bring up Task Manager

This will tell you how many process are running and what resources are beiing used.  If you have over 30 processes running with your current amount of RAM then your system will definitely be slow.  Get to know what the non SYSTEM processes are and whether they need to be running.

downside

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 18 August 06 17:26 BST (UK) »
Downside

I have 49 processes running not sure what that means or what to do about that. I dont understand the bit about stat up programs you mentioned.  I have 192mb of ram I am thinking of adding 256 making 448 an odd nunmber!!! Do you think I should just go for another 512 or will 448 be ok I have windows Xp

Erin
Butler  Wexford .   Smyth  Cavan.    Dooley  Liverpool.   McKay Liverpool.    Kennedy  Manchester.     Walsh  Cheshire.   Mericks  Whitehaven.   Houghton  Ashton in Makerfield.  Torpey  Cork.    Duffy  Cortaghard, Co Monaghan.   Mc Cabe   Kilkit, Co Monaghan. Jackson  Latully, Co Cavan.

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 18 August 06 20:16 BST (UK) »
Go for as much as you can afford, but if it is an old PC, it probably wouldn't be worth exceeding 1G.

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 18 August 06 20:25 BST (UK) »
Al

Its 4 yrs old but last year I had a new hard drive and xp installed

Erin

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 19 August 06 00:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin

The startup items are listed on:

Start->Run

Then type: msconfig

This will bring up a menu and select the Startup tab.

You can disable any item that is not essential.  If you have an antivirus program and or Windows Defender on your system then they may need to be left alone.  Most other programs probably do not need to be loaded into memory at startup.

48 processes is excessive for the amount of memory you have.  I'm sure you could loose many of them as they probably are not in use and are just using up memory. You can find out what each process is doing by doing a Google search.  Some of those processes are necessary - especially if they have SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE or NETWORK SERVICE next to the process.  I can now understand why your PC is so slow!

You will need to find out from the PC manufacturer about how much RAM your PC can handle.  It might be limited to 500MB. Check with your PC manual under the physical memory section.  There will probably be a specification about the most amount of RAM that can be added.

downside

Offline erin21

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Olive Grove Assisi
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 19 August 06 11:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Downside
Im not sure about the physical memory bit. I know I keep getting messages up saying my virtual memory is low!!!!

My son had this computer made up for me to certain specs 4 yrs ago so I do not have a booklet.

Erin