Author Topic: Jane Williamson/Fenty  (Read 4076 times)

Offline advsmt

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Williamson/Fenty
« on: Sunday 06 August 06 09:13 BST (UK) »
Hi
    starting to run out of ideas.  Trying to find the birth details of my wifes relative - Jane Robertson who died in Nairn in 1945.  Her parents are John Williamson and Jessie Fenty according to Jane's marriage cert.  She got maried in Inverkeithny in 1886.  But when and where was she born?  I found a Jane Fenty born in 1831 in Alvah - is that her mother?  Also can't find any trace of a marriage between Williamson and Fenty.

Thanks

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Williamson/Fenty
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 August 06 13:18 BST (UK) »
Another avenue for you to follow up on is that Jane's birth might have been illegitimate? There is one entry on IGI at www.familysearch.org which is possibility:

JANE GRANT FENTY  Birth:  25 FEB 1867  Turriff, Aberdeen, Scotland
Parents: Mother: JESSIE FENTY    

If Jane knew the name of her father, it would not be unusual for her to include it in her marriage cert. What age do you have for Jane in her marriage cert in 1886? Also have you managed to find her in any census to give you an indication of where she was born (perhaps the 1891 census under her married name?).

If this turns out to be the right way to proceed, there is also a marriage of a Jessie Fenty which might be worthwhile following up on:

JESSIE FENTY     Marriages: Spouse:  GEORGE CASSIE    
Marriage:  06 JUN 1868  King Edward, Aberdeen, Scotland

Regards.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline advsmt

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 06 14:16 BST (UK) »
Monica
            many thanks for the information - I think you are right; should have looked at the illegitimate route - seems a popular pastime, on wifes side!!!  The death cert age matches 1867 and a census has her as born in Turriff - so I am convinced.  Her marr cert has her father as John Williamson but can't find a marriage to Fenty.  I guess her mother just lived with him and the daughter took the name.  I will look a bit closer.

Thanks again

Bryan

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 06 20:29 BST (UK) »
Bryan

Maybe a more likely scenario is that Jessie Fenty gave birth to Janet in 1867 and then went on to marry a different man (George Cassie) the following year. Jessie Fenty's marriage is the only one showing on IGI for someone with that name. There is a Janet Fenty(ie) marriage, but that's much earlier:

JANET FENTIE  Marriages: Spouse: GEORGE TRAIL    
Marriage: 06 JUL 1850  Gamrie, Banff, Scotland

These are the only two marriages showing on IGI. If you are looking to trace back on at least one of Janet's paternal/maternal lines, then the possible marriage of the Jessie Fenty might prove helpful. I don't know if you have managed to find an entry for Janet as a child in the 1871 census as this might also help. As for who John Williamson was.......?!

Regards.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk