Author Topic: 1841 question  (Read 6776 times)

Offline mallow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1841 question
« on: Sunday 06 August 06 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Is there any way of looking up a person on 1841 census by occupation  :)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 question
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 August 06 21:11 BST (UK) »
Short answer is "No".

The only way is to read each image, you can also do this at the local Record Office on microfilm, which might be easier than checking the images online.

Is there absolutely no chance of a name?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline mallow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 06 22:10 BST (UK) »
Yes the name is Thomas  Allsopp  occ upation Schoolmaster

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 August 06 23:33 BST (UK) »
I have found the Occupation for all the Thomas Allsopp Entries in the 1841 Census,all bar two.One Occupation is virtually unreadable in Burton-On-Trent,and there is a Thomas Allsopp aged 30,who is the son of a Farmer in Rowley Regis,where no occupation is given.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 August 06 12:16 BST (UK) »
I'd be willing to a little more searching with Al[l]sop[p] which would widen the range of names, but preferably with a little more information. 

I'm assuming you have this name and occupation from a child's marriage certificate? What was the name of the child? what year was the marriage and where? who to? what were the ages? were there any witness names which might prove useful? are you aware, maybe from IGI searches of any other possible siblings of the person who married? what is the birthplace given by the child in later censuses?

Mary
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 August 06 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary,I searched for Thomas Allsopp plus all variants.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 August 06 12:49 BST (UK) »
OK William, I think the difficult one in Burton on Trent is Maltster, so that rules him out anyway.

The questions I've asked may give some clues anyway.

Mary

Offline mallow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 August 06 22:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Mary and William for your offer of help much appreciated.
Here is the information you asked for. Thomas Allsopp was my 3xGrandfather information about him was got from his sons Marriage Cert. Alfred Allsopp Married Hannah Austin in Sept 1850 age 29  occupation Butcher at the Prespyterian Church in Stafford, he has listed his father as Thomas Allsopp Schoolmaster is does not say if he was deceased, the witnesses were Richard Simpole and Mary Ann Perry could not match anyone up there. could never find Birth entry anywhere for Alfred.  Alfred died in 1860 in Stafford It is this Thomas Allsopp that I cannot get a fix on and although I seen a family in Rotten Row on 1841 Census I cannot say for certain if they are Alfreds Family as i cannot match them up. Hope this all makes sence, I have spent a long time searching  :) 

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 12:10 BST (UK) »
The only Alfred I found in Staffordshire in  1841 is exactly the right age, 20, appears to be a Male Servant for a grocer, living Bird Street, St Mary, Staffordshire.  unfortunately it would appear that he claims not to have been born in County.

In 1851 I was wondering more whether Alfred was working for Richard Simpole at the time he was married, he seems to be a fair bit older than Alfred, being between 45 - 49, living in Tongate Street, St Mary, Staffordshire so the right area for the Alfred above, occupation Checker, of what isn't clear.  And a probable Mary Ann Perry living Friar Street, St Mary, Stafford, father and some of the family were shoemakers and shoebinders, but who may just have been a friend of Hannah.

In case you don't have the Austins in 1841 here they are
Red Lion Street, St Mary and St Chad, Stafford
Thomas Austin ShoeM J Y
Elizabeth 50 N
Caroline 15 Y
Hannah 15 Y
HO107/1010/2 Stafford Folio 32 Page 19

I can only make a couple of suggestions, that you check the films for the Churches in Lichfield for a baptism of Alfred, it could have been at the Cathedral, St Mary, St Chad or St Michael.  There were also a couple of Methodist Churches but the dates don't always seem to be applicable. If you aren't able to get to the Record Office, you may be able to order the films through your local LDS Centre, I know searching each individual church might be a long winded way of doing it but there doesn't seem to be many entries transcribed on the IGI and that might be the only way of doing it.

If you are able to get to the Record Office it would be worth asking to see whatever documentation they hold for the schools in the area at that time, Thomas may well be mentioned.

Mary

Added after - I know there's not a lot to go on except the possible area of St Mary's but I thought it worth looking through the 1841 census to see if I could find a school teacher and have found a Sarah Clarkson 55 Schoolmistress born in County, living on Donn[Dam] Street, maybe lodging with a Hannah Dunstone and her family, and a female servant, Frances Toft and an Ann Toft.  There's also a Mary Harris, 50 Schoolmistress, not born in County, living Sessions? Lane with Thomas Harris 23 a visiting clerk and female servant Hannah Gee.

Of course this is nothing conclusive but would make me wonder whether they were predecessors of Thomas or if he had been working there and already died. 

Have you joined the local Family History Society for the area? there are often books, sometimes in the form of diaries which local societies may hold giving details of events in the area, births, deaths etc. if there was such a thing I'm sure a local schoolmaster would warrant a mention.