Author Topic: SEALEY / SLADE - North Perrot / Haselbury  (Read 5470 times)

Offline laurap120

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
SEALEY / SLADE - North Perrot / Haselbury
« on: Sunday 06 August 06 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have the 1851 census which shows my ancestors Robert Sealey and his wife Elizabeth Slade.  Trouble is, I can't get any further back and the fustrating thing is that there are other Slades and Sealey's (lots of them) in the same village and on the same street at this time and I just can't connect them. Help!  Does anyone have any parish records from round this area???

Many thanks

Laurap120
Poyser, Wharmby, Sealey, Shepherd, Leatherland, Gilbey, Goth

Offline davidpinkney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Margaret Richardson (nee Robinson)
    • View Profile
Re: Sealey / Slade - North Perrot / Haselbury
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 August 06 22:46 BST (UK) »
Could you please paste the 1851 info

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br /><br /><br />Swansea (Glamorgan) - Reynish/Johnson<br />Yorkshire/Durham - Pinkney/Richardson/Robinson/Gill<br />Wiltshire - Hibberd<br />London/Surrey - Clark<br />Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire - Spencer, Broughton, Sprigg, Martin<br />Cornwall - Sowden<br />Herefordshire/Shropshire/Wales - Worrall<br />Essex - Saville<br />Dorset - Atkins, Govier<br />Devon - Wakely, Parsons

Offline laurap120

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 August 06 22:51 BST (UK) »
SEALEY Robert 41 Cordwainer Haselbury, Som.
Elizabeth 40 North Perrott, Som.
Susan 17 North Perrott, Som.
William 16 Cordwainer North Perrott, Som.
Elizabeth 13 North Perrott, Som.
Henry 12 Cordwainer North Perrott, Som.
Robert 10 North Perrott, Som.
Eliza 6 Scholar North Perrott, Som.
Anne 5 North Perrott, Som.
Mary 2 North Perrott, Som.
Thomas 9m North Perrott, Som
Poyser, Wharmby, Sealey, Shepherd, Leatherland, Gilbey, Goth

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 August 06 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi laurap120

I'm currently in the process of transcribing the parish records for North Perrott and Haselbury for FreeReg and am happy to look things up for you! I also have Sealeys (but from Wiltshire) and Slades in my ancestry and the Slades were the reason I bought the parish microfiche. The parish of North Perrott seems to be nearly 50% Slades.......  ::)

The people you mention in 1851 have been occurring lots of times in my transcriptions - they had SO many children.

I've had a look for Robert's baptism - unfortunately the Haselbury register is very difficult to read at that point, but I'll have another check in a minute.

I found Robert and ELizabeth's marriage and the witnesses were John and Maria Slade. Looking at baptisms for Elizabeth Slade between 1809 and 1812, the possibilities seem to be:-

Born 26 Jun 1809 bap 16 Jul 1809, Elizabeth dau of William & Ann Slade
Born 7 Aug 1809 bap 10 Sep 1809, Elizabeth dau of Emanuel & Ann Slade

Both sets of parents have a son John  ::) but only William and Ann have a daughter Maria. Added to that Robert and Elizabeth seem to be living next door to William and Ann in 1841 and I think it's the most likely bet! On the other hand, Elizabeth could sign her name but William was a labourer, whereas Emanuel was a Dairyman (slightly higher up the social scale?) so I don't think we can ba absolutely certain  :(

If you'd like me to give you any particular information from the registers, please send me a PM

Best wishes

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 August 06 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi again laurap120

I've had another look at the Haselbury Register and have found Robert, I think.

Robert, son of Thomas and Mary Sealy baptised January 8th 1809

The register looks like it's written in pencil at this point and the 8th could equally be 10th, 18th or 20th with the first digit faded. Somewhere after the 1st and before the 22nd though because those are the surrounding entries.

Best wishes

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 August 06 08:29 BST (UK) »
1841 census, in case that helps:

HO107/946/15; Folio 8; Page 9
Front St, North Perrott

Robert Sealey  30  Shoem. 
Elizabeth Sealey  30
William Sealey  6
Susan Sealey  8
Ely Sealey  3
Henry Sealey  2
Robert Sealey  5m

All born in county.

Rambler
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline haselbury

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 March 11 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laurap120,
I am the OPC for Haselbury.
The Parish Register was not written in Pencil. But many of the pages are very faded and a lot are water damaged and quite illegible.
The only  Baptisms I found for Sealy are below.

1806 John Son of Thomas and Mary Sealy December 20
1809 Robert Son of Thomas and Mary Sealy January 8
I found no others at this time.
Regards OPC for Haselbury Plucknett
Margaret Silva
Ayling:Sussex, Brighton
Bowley:Sussex, Brighton, Arundel,Burpham
Braddon:Devon,Mamhead,Dawlish
Catford:Sussex,Burpham
Davis:Devon,Mamhead,Dawlish
Dix:Somerset,Haselbury Plucknett
Masters:Kent,Trottiscliffe
Medlar:Norfolk,Hevingham
Morey:Somerset,Haselbury Plucknett
Mudge:Devon,Dawlish
Rendell:Dorset/Beaminster/Somerset/East Chinnock
Sharp:Kent,Bexley,Crayford
Sibley:Kent,Dartford,Deptford, London
Silva:Ceylon
Starling: West Indies,Barbados,Bridgetown
Ward:Sussex,Arundel, Australia

Offline mike slade

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SEALEY / SLADE - North Perrot / Haselbury
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 June 15 20:43 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am related to north perrott slades.

I have got back to about 1770s

However, what interested me was that a William Slade living in goulds Barton near crewkerne described himself as a cordwainer and shoe and boot maker at various times in his life.

He was born in 1795 or so in haselbury plucknett (next village from north perrott). which also seems to have other cordwainers living there.

Why so many cordwainers and shoe makers in such a small area and do you you know how they were connected ?

Best wishes

Michael Slade