Author Topic: My Firewall is driving me mad  (Read 2141 times)

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
Re: My Firewall is driving me mad
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 August 06 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi celia

I'm not so sure that a firewall is causing the problems you are describing.  I would check some Windows log files to see if they are recording the errors that are occuring on your system.

If you go to:

Start->Search->Files and Folders

in the search criteria folder enter: *.log

when the results are displayed look for a file that has recently been modified and see whether it has any information pertaining to an error that has just occured.  This might narrow down what the real problem is rather than all the speculation that has aired in this topic.

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 12:04 BST (UK) »
Any further forward Celia ?

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 18:23 BST (UK) »
So far so good
Fingers crossed, I had to redo 3 times what my son did.The fix lasted till Late evening Saturday. All sorts of thing were happening or went missing.Sunday i tried to train the tallboy how to connect to the net,my way. It eventual got it right. Monday problems again connecting,Fixed that after a while.Just when i thought all was well, two hours later my modem got crossed out.So did a backtrack to Friday that seems to have solved the problem. I also switched off my automatic updates which i put on by mistake a few days ago.I never have that on because it courses problems every time it wants to download updates twic a day miles of them. I discovered something when fixing things, I tried you search "Log" but it didnt work for me.So i opened the Help desk. Then typed the error number that had come up to see if that found anything.It found every single error number and it'a meaning, very handy.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Michael72.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Getting back to my Roots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 18:39 BST (UK) »

What was the Error number celia and have you tried to Google for it?

Michael72.
My email is not working sorry
GILBY, Lowestoft and Cleethorpes.
COO, Horncastle/Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
MADIN, Sheffield/Cleethorpes.
AYERS, Yorkshire, Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
Clark, Cheltenham, Hull, Cleethorpes.

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 19:19 BST (UK) »
Gosh i cant remember now, i think it came up when it said no modem it was 727 or something.
So i opened the Help desk. Then typed the error number that had come up to see if that found anything.It found every single error number and it'a meaning, very handy

P.S. Have you got your specks on Michael ;D ;)
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

Offline Michael72.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Getting back to my Roots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 20:28 BST (UK) »

Specs OK celia.. ;D....just thought if you had the error no. I would have a snoop round for you.......it's always a good idea to write error Nos. down for future reference...

Are you still in trouble with the problem??...

Michael72.
My email is not working sorry
GILBY, Lowestoft and Cleethorpes.
COO, Horncastle/Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
MADIN, Sheffield/Cleethorpes.
AYERS, Yorkshire, Grimsby/Cleethorpes.
Clark, Cheltenham, Hull, Cleethorpes.

Offline Arquebus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 August 06 23:25 BST (UK) »
Is this a Registry problem I wonder?

Having read the threads and having had similar issues in the past, I think it is.

I have never had a problem with the Windows firewall even when used in conjunction with Zone Alarm [although I now have a firewall in my router, so I don't need ZA].

What I would expect to see checked on the Windows Firewall Exceptions are only UnPnP Framework, Files and Printer Sharing (but not if you aren't sharing) and possibly SAgent (if you are using an Epson). The rest can be unchecked.

Al.
ENFIELD...Colchester, DEARY & DIX...Norfolk & Oz, SLOLEY / SYMONS...Fremington Devon, BAKER...Deopham Norfolk, BANTACK...Ixworth, ALLISON...Suffolk / ALLISTON / ELLISTON/E...North East Essex, HOW /HOWE...North East Essex, SWALES..York / Middlesboro,METCALFE...York,  WOODS / MOLLETT / GREEN....Norwich, BRATTY...N.Ireland (Derry and Belfast), MORGAN...Bicknor / Coleford Glos. & Middlesboro. FENN / WENDEN / ROOKARD....North East Essex. SNOW...Hampstead & Devon. BULL...Colchester.

Offline celia

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 16 August 06 10:18 BST (UK) »
Hi
I never found out what the problems have been coursed by,since i restored the computer back a few days.On Monday it has now settled down. I think the poor thing  got confused somewhere ;D  I just checked the error number i thought i got in regard to modem.It wasn't that one, I have windows XP Professional and if you ever get  an error message. I found  if you click on Start then Help and support,you can type in the error number in the search box. This brings up the word Error, click on that and up comes all the error numbers.You then click on the error number,and get an explanation of the error. Something downside said made me try this. Thank you all for your help and suggestions you have taught me a few things along the way. My son came out with his own predication of problems i had last year i am finding it true ;D

"Your computer can do anything you want it to do
As long as you know how to do it"
                                 Author  K.S.

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials