Author Topic: Help with place name  (Read 2224 times)

Offline Mrs Food

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with place name
« on: Monday 07 August 06 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I wonder if anyone can help me with a place name?

The name of the place is written as 'Llanfyted, Carmarthenshire', however, there is no such place on any of the maps so I assume this is a misspelling. I thought it might be Llanfynydd or Llanfallteg??
Any suggestions gratefully received!!

Many thanks
Mrs Food

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with place name
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 08:00 BST (UK) »
Hi again Mrs Food

Can you give us the ref, so that we can have a look ourselves, please?

Where does this person say they were born on other censuses?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline SS from The Rhondda

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 08:27 BST (UK) »
Lampeter could also be a possibility.

Offline Mrs Food

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hello again Arranroots

This one is John Francis - hubby of Mary of 'St Tiecle' fame!!

In the 1871 & 1881 census he only gives Carmarthenshire as his place of birth. However, come the 1891 census, he has decided to elaborate and this is where the name 'Llanfyted, Carmarthenshire' appears.

1891- -Glamorgan - Llanwonno - district 3 page 23. Jno Francis, 3rd household from top of sheet. The writing is none too clear on the original but it is a bit more legible when blown up a bit. The transcriber has it as 'Llantyted' Carmarthenshire, it looks more like an 'f' to me though. Have a look and see what you think!
Many thanks again
Best wishes
Mrs Food

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hmm - see what you mean!  Looks like Llanfyded to me.

It doesn't exactly match any of the parishes here:

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CMN/indexpars.html

If I had to choose one, I would probably opt for Llanfynydd and assume it was misheard. BUT equally it could be a smaller place that is not listed.

Have you identified them on earlier censuses?  (I am just looking)  Have you found their marriage, as parents' names would be helpful?

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Mrs Food

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 19:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

Thanks for having a look at that, it's very helpful to have someone else's opinion.
I have had great difficulty finding a marriage ref for them - tried 1858 to 1864 Carms, Pembs & Glam but no matches. All I know is that in 1864 their 1st son was born in Aberdare but then they moved to Gelligaer before landing up in Wattstown in the Rhondda!! All my searches for a marriage have been fruitless, have also tried all the 'soundalikes' I could think of. The earliest census I've found them in is the 1871. Have looked in 1861 but there are 100's of people of same name & ages born in Carmarthenshire & Pembs. I also thought Llanfynydd was the closest sounding Parish to 'Llanfyted' & there is a Francis family with a John of about the correct age living there in the 1841, but no sign of them in the 1851!
Anyway, thanks very much for your replies, I'll keep plugging away!
Best wishes
Mrs Food