Author Topic: Maryland - Dan's Rock Road  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Renee.S

• I am sorry but my email address has stopped working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I need rehab already!
    • View Profile
Maryland - Dan's Rock Road
« on: Monday 07 August 06 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hello!

Does anyone know where "Dan's Rock Road" is/would have been in Maryland?  Frostburg?  Cumberland?  How can I find out if this place exsists still and/or which Williams family lived there in the late 1800's?

any info greatly appreciated!!

Williams, Allison, Shortz, Hill, Wilson

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Maryland - Dan's Rock Road
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 12:24 BST (UK) »
http://home.ease.lsoft.com/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0305d&L=mdosprey&D=1&P=10226 - hmm, there's a mention of it here.
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/western/dansmapa.html - you can see it here, at the edge of the Dan's Mountain Wildlife Management Area.

Map here of the general area.  Cumberland is to the NE.

County for census purposes would be Allegany.  Looking at the map, 'Lonaconing' in 1900 might be the right census district? Do you know anything more about the family you are trying to find?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Renee.S

• I am sorry but my email address has stopped working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I need rehab already!
    • View Profile
Re: Maryland - Dan's Rock Road
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 12:47 BST (UK) »
wow, thank you so much for your response.

I am looking for William J and Annie Williams who lived there with several of their children before and somewhat after my great-grandmother was born.  I have a photo with "Dan's Rock Road, Maryland (where we lived)" on the back and the children's names listed on it.

William and Annie must have gotten married around 1884/5 but lived in Illinois for a bit, then back to Maryland prior to my g-gran Essie being born in 1904.

Williams, Allison, Shortz, Hill, Wilson