Author Topic: John WILLIAMS, born Dorset but maybe died in Risca area ?  (Read 8099 times)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
John WILLIAMS, born Dorset but maybe died in Risca area ?
« on: Monday 07 August 06 21:54 BST (UK) »
John Williams, my Gr. Grandfather, was born in 1839 in More Crichel, Dorset.  He married a Mary Trowbridge; they were living in Portchester, Hampshire in 1912, and I haven't been able to find where they died, though she may have died in Fareham in 1921.  One of their daughters lived in Risca, so he may have been living with her when he died ... possibly after 1921 ?

Any ideas ?  Any knowledge of cemeteries in that area please ??

Here's hoping ... Lydart 
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
  • Can't stop until I know everything!
    • View Profile
Re: John Williams, born Dorset but maybe died in Risca area ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 August 06 23:50 BST (UK) »
The registration district would be Newport.

Newport Reference Library has a very good collection of 'registers of electors' and I know that Risca is included and they certainly cover the relevant period.  I believe that they had half-yearly registers at that time so if the family could be found then when John (ahem) 'drops off' the register that could give the year of his death.  I have searched the whole register for Risca and it doesn't take long.

I'll be happy to have a look for you but I might not be able to do it this week - next week for sure.

If you'd like me to go ahead then it would help to have the daughter's name and possibly her husband's.
Researching BENNETTs of Worcester & COTTERELLs of Westbury-on-Trym.  JAMES of Cheltenham, Charlton Kings  & West Town, Shirehampton. FORDS of Chawleigh and Budleigh Salterton, Devon.

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Denben,
This is a very long shot, but I think the daughter he may have lived with in Pontymister or Risca was Annie (married to ?? Hoare) ... that.s a side of the family I havent looked at yet. 
John Williams wife Mary possibly died in 1921 (she'd have been 75); he was certainly alive in 1912 ... if he died after Mary, then he'd have been 82+, which is quite possible ... my family live long !  That old bane of family history researchers 'family rumour, heresay' ... suggests to me from things I heard as a child, that he may have ended his life in Wales, but as I say, its a long shot !
I'd be grateful for anything you can find out ... its not exactly a rare name in Wales !
Thanks ... Lydart
PS ... I had another look at the family tree ... its just possible the person we are looking for that he lived with at that time might be a George Mason, married to a Rose, but my first choice, I think, would be the Hoare family
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 August 06 23:09 BST (UK) »
Okay, leave it with me.
Researching BENNETTs of Worcester & COTTERELLs of Westbury-on-Trym.  JAMES of Cheltenham, Charlton Kings  & West Town, Shirehampton. FORDS of Chawleigh and Budleigh Salterton, Devon.

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 August 06 07:24 BST (UK) »
I've also checked out the death of his wife Mary Ann Williams (nee Trowbridge, born 1846), and I had thought I'd 'found' her in Fareham cemetery, but now find that was someone else (as I said, there must be thousands of Mary and/or John Williams !).    So maybe she too, ended her days in Wales ?

Lydart

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 August 06 21:47 BST (UK) »
Well I had a look but I'm afraid I couldn't find John or Mary.

They have the registers for 1912, 1915 and then 1922 etc. 

Because women didn't have the vote until 1921 (?) I checked the 1922 first and found Annie Hoare, Albert Edward Hoare, Thomas Hoare and from 1923, Herbert Henry Hoare living in Clyde Stree, Pontymister.  I then found Albert on the 1912 and 1915 but no John Williams.

I did the same with Rose Ellen Mason who was living with John Henry Mason in 1922 (joined by Edward George in 1923).  Checked John Henry in 1912 and 1915 but no John Williams.

I checked all until Autumn 1924.

There were many 'John Williams' in Risca and Pontymister but difficult to know if any were the right one.

Back to square one, I'm afraid!

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 August 06 12:02 BST (UK) »
I think you've found Rose Ellen and Annie ... well done !   But alas, no John and Mary Williams ... I am still wondering when and where they died.  Does anyone else reading this have any idea how I can find them ?  The 1911 census when its available will show they were still in Portchester, Hampshire, as I know they were still there in 1912 ... and its a long wait until the 1921 census comes available.  I too, might be dead by then !! 
Its odd how two of the daughters of John and Mary ended up in south Wales, when their parents had no connection (as far as I know) with Wales ... both of them and for generations previously, coming from Dorset. 
I'll add a picture of Annie which shows her house too ... it looks very 'valleys' to me !!! 
Here's hoping someone has some idea ...
and again, I'm grateful for what you found out.  Its added a few more names to the family tree.
Lydart

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 August 06 12:12 BST (UK) »
I'm commenting on my own picture here ... but isnt it strange how I 'post' a small picture on Roots and it comes up so much larger ... such that I can see more detail than I can on my computer, even when I enlarge it ! 
Thanks, Roots, for the enlargement !
(Can anyone make out the number on Great Aunt Annie's gate?)

Offline denben

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 August 06 23:30 BST (UK) »
Just to help:

They lived in 35 Trafalgar Street in 1912.

27 Trafalgar Street in 1915.

55 Clyde Street in 1922, 23, 24.........

Could that number be 55?